The "3 way" Kona project DONE AT LAST!!

Re: The "Out with the old & in with the new" Kona project

Finished swapping the bits off the Cinder Cone onto the U'Hu on Saturday and cabled it all up.

Here are some pics from this morning just before a quick test ride round town to check it all functioned ok and set up the air pressure in the shock.

I started at 170psi (I'm about 73kg) but this was too stiff, so lowered it to 130psi, this resulted in too much pedal bob, so settled on 150psi. I've also concluded that I need to get some stiffer springs for the Z1 as they go through their travel very easily even with full pre-load applied!

Anyway here are some pics of some of the details:

Spec is as Follows:

Frame: 97 19" Kona U'Hu

Fork: 98 Marzocchi Bomber Z1 with ti bolts in crown

Headset: Cane Creek S2 with ti bolt
Stem: Unknown alloy aheadstem with ti bolts
Handlebar: Club Roost Comp II riser bar
Grips: Unknown

Brakes: Shimano XT BR-M739 Front and Rear with ti bolts
Brake Pads: Clarkes
Brake Cables: Clarkes
Brake Levers: Shimano XT STI M739 with ti bolts

Shifters: Shimano XT STI M739 with ti bolts
Front Derailleur: Shimano FD-M739 31.8mm band Bottom Pull with ti bolts & ti adjustment screws
Rear Derailleur: Shimano RD-M739 with ti bolts, ti adjustment screws, alloy breakaway bolt and alloy jockey wheels
Derailleur Cables: Clarkes/Jagwire
Cassette: NOS Shimano XT 11-28
Chain: Shimano IG70
Cranks: Shimano XT M737
Crank Bolts: No brand self extracting
Chainrings: Race Face Team 22/32/44T
Chainring bolts: Token/Middleburn
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN55 68 x 107mm
Pedals: NOS Shimano PD-M505 Spuds

Hub Skewers: Hope
Rims: Salsa Delgardo
Hubs: Hope Mono 32H
Nipples: DT swiss Alu nips
Spokes: DT swiss revolution spokes
Tyres: Panaracer Fire XC Pro (folding)
Tubes: Continental 26x2.5

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Titanium 1990 (reproduction)
Seatpost: NOS Handsomedog Lite Stik Silver 27.0 x 400mm (Cut down by 70mm)
Seatpost Binder: Kona
Other bolts: Blue Ti

Weight: 28.37 lb

:D

Attachments

• IMG_1397.JPG
    IMG_1397.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 707
  • IMG_1402.JPG
    IMG_1402.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 708
  • IMG_1404.JPG
    IMG_1404.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 708
  • IMG_1406.JPG
    IMG_1406.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 708
  • IMG_1407.JPG
    IMG_1407.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 707
  • IMG_1408.JPG
    IMG_1408.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 707

That looks great Matt but very weird watching a build on my old bike :xmas-cool:

Gruff":1w5n4cq6 said:
That looks great Matt but very weird watching a build on my old bike :xmas-cool:

yeah I'm thinking I'm gonna feel the same, I'm waiting to see what you do with the C16R :LOL:

Size wise it's about perfect!

just a suggestion but I think you should single speed one of them, rigid preferably. take it down to the bare essentials ;)

lumos2000":3su65333 said:
just a suggestion but I think you should single speed one of them, rigid preferably. take it down to the bare essentials ;)

Wahey an excuse for a 4th bike! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I have most of the bits for my planned builds already, but I will keep it in mind, could be a weight weenie type challenge!

matt24777":31a4da86 said:
Gruff":31a4da86 said:

yeah I'm thinking I'm gonna feel the same, I'm waiting to see what you do with the C16R :LOL:

Size wise it's about perfect!

Glad it fits you :) cos it looks even bigger with Z1's on.

Onto the next one.... the Hardtail!

Firstly the forks.... I want this to be a xc lightweight so I purchased a set of 99 SIDs off here a little while ago, they looked very good, unfortunately they hid a dark secret.....

I must say the seller was very good to his word and gave me a full refund as they are basically knackered! I also got to keep the forks.

It would appear that some sand has got inside and ground the stanchion at the lower bushing.

Now I thought I'd have a go at rescuing these as the wear seems limited to the bushing areas not the seals.

First stage is to fully disassemble them.... Has anyone got any idea where I can get the tool to undo the negative spring and cartridge? it needs to slide over the shafts & fit in the hex in the photo below

Attachments

• IMG_1413.JPG
    IMG_1413.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 638
  • IMG_1414.JPG
    IMG_1414.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 638
  • IMG_1415.JPG
    IMG_1415.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 638
  • IMG_1416.JPG
    IMG_1416.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 638
  • IMG_1417.JPG
    IMG_1417.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 638
  • IMG_1419.JPG
    IMG_1419.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 638

Well I improvised, I needed a 15mm tool so I found a nut of a similar size and drilled the middle out to 11mm, just enough to slide over the piston rods.

Got the negative spring assembly and C3 cartridge out, but now it seems the cartridge is dead... I can hear the oil cavitation when I move it through its travel, I think it's lost oil, which would seem reasonable given the piston is pitted and rusty. Great Now I need to find another cartridge.... this set of forks might well be dead after all....

So with that in mind I turned to the 94 Kilauea rigid. Now I was going to go retro purple ano with this and had a set of Pulstar hubs, but I was quoted silly money (£250 it was only Mavic XM 317 rims and I was supplying the hubs :shock: ) to get them built up as the DT Swiss Competition straight pull spokes had to be ordered specially and in boxes of 72 :cry:

After a lot of ebay trawling I've bought some Phil Wood plain gauge silver direct pull spokes from the states in the required lengths for just over half the cost inc import tax.... so hopefully the wheels will be a go-er again :)

Now I'm debating what to do with the frame, it has most of its original paint, but a lot of scrapes with surface rust. Do I leave it? Do I just touch it up for now? or do I go the whole hog and get it powder coated?.... (I'll post a pic tomorrow)

firstly a couple of pics of the C3 cartridge...anyone have any idea where I could find a replacement?

Now the 94 kilauea frame.... made a decision to investigate the rusty bits on the driveside chainstay.... err gonna be a full repaint then :facepalm:

Hmm what colour to go.... Silver does go with pretty much anything and would keep it looking fairly original.... hmmmmm

Attachments

• IMG_1425.JPG
    IMG_1425.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 599
  • IMG_1426.JPG
    IMG_1426.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 599
  • IMG_1434.JPG
    IMG_1434.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 599
  • IMG_1432.JPG
    IMG_1432.JPG