That's all three then

The History Man":1nernwo1 said:
Unless you've taken the time and effort to meet.
So... England squad, Murray, and Froome, then - what were they really like?

Aah you miss the point. I've met 50% of those on this thread and numerous others so I don't worry about post based perceptions too much these days. I make a couple of exceptions though.

Some people could start a fight in an empty phone box.................

Not met an RB member I didn't like.

The History Man":3q7n49gt said:
Aah you miss the point.
I didn't miss your point at all, I got exactly what you were trying to say.

I just sometimes boggle at the cheap shots made about people that have never been experienced in real life, are getting sniped about for rather secondary criteria, just for the purposes of, largely, self-agrandising.

Are you so sure that were you to meet any of the squad, Murray or Froome and actually experience them in real life, whether you'd be quite as quick to be laughing boy?

Still... feel free, if it keeps you entertained - but consider this: you were the one to raise real-life experience of forum-ites to bolster your rhetoric.

And difference of opinion need not equate to fight - unless people are only happy to read stuff they agree with. That does tend to be a bit saccharin, though.

I'm not laughing. And yes I would say the same. Only basing that on my experiences Having met a few previous England football and rugby squad members and lesser pros, prior to the media managed versions, both in public and private, sober and intoxicated, secure and vulnerable.

I would ask the new breed how it feels to be so much of a commodity that personality is stifled to the point of invisibility. Hence my first remark and subsequent defence of it.

Chopper1192":zqvvy0o4 said:
The History Man":zqvvy0o4 said:
And not a personality between them

You could add Lewis Hamilton to the list of living personality donors :roll:
There's the thing, though - add a few diamond earrings, some funky tatts, emotions up-and-down like the tides, and a certain, mystical degree of inconsistency - and apparently some people think it's the height of personality and character.

I just find it a bit pedestrian and Sun-newspaper-headline, that it's apparently so easy to surmise people that have not been encountered in real-life, on factors that really only affect real-life, and not actually their day job.

The History Man":vjnnhmlr said:
I'm not laughing. And yes I would say the same. Only basing that on my experiences Having met a few previous England football and rugby squad members and lesser pros, prior to the media managed versions, both in public and private, sober and intoxicated, secure and vulnerable.

I would ask the new breed how it feels to be so much of a commodity that personality is stifled to the point of invisibility. Hence my first remark and subsequent defence of it.
You don't know their personality, though - you most likely only know what you see when they're presented in the media.

As to the compromises they make in order to do what they do - well like many, they probably live in the real world.

I heard this cutting rumour, right, that a salt-of-the-earth, famous, revered, but now retired professional footballer, kinda like Ron Manager, but different, can't - for the life of him - mix a decent martini.

Oh how we laughed. Clearly that makes him the bigger fool than me... although he's loads richer, has a young, beautiful girlfriend, travels around the world, and is admired far and wide - still, no mixie, no kudos.

There. A very solid, robust argument, that I never did make.

Re:

I have met a few footballers in my time, and they tend to be a little bit up themselves true enough. One or two exceptions, such as Ian Wright, Ally McCoist and David Seaman. Comes with the territory I suppose, being a very ego led sport. I wouldn't say they lacked personality though.

Happen to think Murray has a fantastic personality, and doesn't give a toss how he comes over to those who don't get him. The total opposite of the sponsors' spin machine, in my view.

Besides, there are more big tennis tournaments to come this year, and while you can't assume he will win anything I reckon Murray will track back up the ratings over this time.

Chopper1192":1clzbo0w said:
The History Man":1clzbo0w said:
And not a personality between them

You could add Lewis Hamilton to the list of living personality donors :roll:
No, you can't have him on this thread, as he won the British Grand Prix..... bless him.

Back