Shimano replaces three low end groupsets with one new one..

Because the vast majority of bikes in the world run HG free hubs I guess. Only people who want 12sp and are prepared to pay for it don't use HG on the whole.
It's a new-era groupset, there is no need to use HG as they're designed for new bikes, not for the bygone bikes.
The point here is you can fit 9, 10, 11 cassettes onto the microspline hub. Remember they're all a new 11 speed spacing standard, not a 12 speed setup, but it would give an upgrade path. so it no longer follows the HG traditional setup. Having both just scraps the interoperability in one go.
Pick one that covers all.

They can of course make an out of groupset generic hub for oldies who happen to be buying a new wheel/hub and wish to keep their old knackered cassette.

Know what you mean but I guess, back to my previous point you could transfer to the new standard reasonably cheaply if it's just mech/shifter/chain ring but if you start making people change hubs and wheels as well it changes the game. They will no doubt make both style cassettes while it's profitable to do so.

But why make the hubs, that what Tourney series can be used for ;-)

A quick look at the Shimano site and I cannot see any of them using microspline anyway, not even the Trekking XT level top end one.

So hey ho.
Obviously profit and ease of 'we're just rebranding hubs we already make anyway'.

Give them a few years when the patents are finalised..

It's still the same crap people quickly upgrade fro to the proper stuff.

In the grand scheme of bike and component sales the amount people spend on upgrading from, say, 10 or 11 to 12 speed is miniscule compared to the amount spent simply buying new bikes with the 12 speed kit already installed. Sure, the likes of us might do it but overall we're a tiny minority.

I'm sure if Shimano thought there was a sufficient demand to make it financially viable to chase they'd have been on it faster than Rolf Harris at school closing time. The fact that they're not making it back compatible with older hubs suggests that they clearly do not.

Just think about how easy it will be for the retrobikes who follow us in 40 years.....although the pages will be pretty blank as there will only be one groupset and all parts fit it!

How very boring for them.

So for now just bask in the joy of multiple non complementary standards.

Enjoy.

I guess this is meant to be their standard e-bike groupset in the first place, so they started from scratch without caring about compatibility

New Essa 1x 8 speed groupset with 11-45 HG cassette introduced

So the future low end is maybe deore>cues>essa

Just saw they've discontinued XT flat pedals :(

I saw that, I guess they want to regain the cheap 1x market that Microshift was taking over.

More interesting for me is the RD-M3020, already out for more than a year, and allows to run a 11-40 cassette. No clutch though

Back