Tension for installing gear cables?

Re:

My two pence/tuppence/two cents worth...

As you have to place your fingers over the end of the levers to pull them you don't really want the levers flush with the tube or there is a danger of fingers meeting the wheel if you mis judge it so I put my right hand lever a third of the way back (I have a five speed freewheel)

I find that moving the front mech requires a bit more weight and is easier/quicker to use if you are pushing down on the lever rather than pulling back on it, so I have mine set 3/4 of the way back so that pushing it all the way down to align with the tube changes the chainring and you can't/don't need to push it beyond this point.

make of that what you will :D

Re:

Funny how we all have a different take on things ... and its something to celebrate. I like the cable tension tight. Any slack smacks of mechanical inefficiency. When I'm ready to change to a bigger cog it needs to be instant, poised there waiting for me to pull back in my time of desperation to make a lower gear change as I'm climbing.
I also don't like the aesthetics of a lever being pulled back beyond the perpendicular. To me it just don't look good.

Personal opinion of course, we all do it differently

When you have removed excess weight from the lever to shave off vital seconds it can be hard to move wherever it is :)

24y8js4.jpg

Having said that I'm a parallel to the downtube person :D

Shaun

Midlife":8mu4gnxs said:
When you have removed excess weight from the lever to shave off vital seconds it can be hard to move wherever it is :)

24y8js4.jpg

Having said that I'm a parallel to the downtube person :D

Shaun

Nice trim job!!! :D

: Mike

Re:

What moisturizer do you use Shaun? Your hand looks remarkable for an old timer, unlike mine! :LOL:
I'm a parallel position sort of bloke too.

As for the non parallel design front shifter, wasn't it to do with the position of the stop in the spacer between the shifter and frame?
Pre-tensioning a Dura Ace front can be a bit tricky. Having to turn it around against the spring, hold it in place while you do up the cable at the mech.
Insulation tape helps keep it in place though :LOL:

Mike

Re:

I have the Dura ace 7700 9 sp dt shifters where the left side sits at about 30 degrees. I didn't think I would like it ,but once you get used to shifting both levers with your right hand you'll love it.

Attachments

• IMG_0334_picmonkeyed.JPG
    IMG_0334_picmonkeyed.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 642
Re: Re:

bigpantswheels":3ihm27jr said:
I have the Dura ace 7700 9 sp dt shifters where the left side sits at about 30 degrees. I didn't think I would like it ,but once you get used to shifting both levers with your right hand you'll love it.

I did my best to set mine up as suggested by replies on here, I may have got some things a little wrong, but it is in such a position that I can do all my shifts right handed, I've put 77 miles on the bike set up like this and I love it :D Thanks everyone

Back