Tel's Stallion Cycle Shop Venture!

Hey Terry,

The current shop looks great - but no mugs?? Am i obsessed with coffee?

If you lease the new/old building and refurbish it, what happens if the landlord wants to either increase the rent or decides that he wants it back?

Happy and a Prosperous New Year,

Richard

It's all to be discussed and made into a contract but it's partly why the rent is so cheap....

Cups are integral with the tea, coffee, etc just add hot water ;)

Modern coffee!!! LOL

I am sure you know what you are doing with the new shop, just thought I should point it out.

Richard

My LBS was a new start up perhaps 18/24 months ago and went into a 'corner' shop. Massively restricted in terms of space, couldn't really do the business justice. In a fairly wealthy area, so plenty of custom and health conscious folk. The owner has now moved into premises quarter of a mile down the road, 3x the size, turnover has gone through the roof as he can handle so much more stock but more importantly servicing & repairs and the space to hold bikes whilst they await to be done. He's now got 2 full time employees and every time I go in they are swamped with customers bikes - he doesn't sell bikes like you, simply services & repairs plus all the usual consumables.

To that end, I think you're in a better position as you've got bike builds & sales as an additional income stream, plus you've got coffee - he hasn't! I'd say do it, space = work = money plus that property is more visible. Get an old bike hung from the wall outside as a sign and I think you could be onto a winner.

The very best of luck to you Tel.

Looks like you are building up quite a stock.
Depends on previous circumstances of the shop lease, but you must not fall for a full repairing lease. You may be able to take a short lease, possibly a free period because you are tidying the place. In many places the owner has to pay the "rates" on empty busness premises, where I live empty listed buildings are not subject to this.
Keep it going.
Keith.

Good luck with your exciting new venture Tel! I'll have to try to get over to Queenborough in the summer to visit; a run out on the Mercian perhaps (or if wet, the Hyundai)
Happy New Year!

You my friend are living the dream...and yes, I do know how hard it is to run a business and even harder to start one from scratch

Looks great.
Here's a suggestion, although I may have made it before. Somewhere, ideally visible from the shop, have a big metal ring or something where customers can lock their bikes.
Within a 30 mile radius of home in the Forest of Dean I have about 20 shops. Nota single one allows me to secure my bike outside. This means that I spend more time looking over my shoulder than looking at stock.
Maybe find some way of having something solid at handlebar level to avoid bars on the glass.
Good luck.

Yes I'd thought about that Matt, I inten d to fit some kind of bar along the window sill/ windows so that bikes can be padlocked up.

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone! I need them :D

Back