Tell you what I hate...

Im back in cassette help- realised theres play when cleaning and that I needed a spacer... after I tightened it on off course. And now I can't untighten. Broken my chain whip too- I've no choice but to take this to a pro by the looks of it. Boo!

Re:

Take the chain off; sturdy pair of gardening gloves etc and use the chain as a makeshift chainwhip?
(quicker than making your own, which is another option!) Better yet, use an old chain if you have one about, or a part-used spare, etc.

With more length of chain you should be able to get it sufficiently wrapped around the cassette, loop back on itself & the rest around a pipe/stick/your hand to brace against (hence the gloves). There should be enough chain length to wrap around without creating too much pressure/pain on your hand if you have nothing else to use.
Hopefully the tyre etc is still on the wheel, that makes it slide about less too! ;)

Buxton- there's a decent bike shop not too far away and I have another wheel with a similar issue so I'll take them both on next week. Silly really but I like to do everything myself- this will be my first paid fix since being a kid!

Back