Tell you what I hate...

Thanks for the tips, as you can see from my above posts knowing which way to turn (I know which way, I've just done it wrong consistently!) has been an issue! I have been using the whip on the smaller rings so that is a good start!

My other problem, which may or may not turn it to be one once I'm using a better technique, is that my left arm is considerably weaker than my right following a few ops- I haven't found a way so far of working it so my right arm isn't overpowering my left! It's not something I normally notice but this has got me wondering if I need to do some serious gym work to rebuild the muscle there.

for extra fun points, make sure the cassette is utterly knackered so the chainwhip can climb over the teeth nice and easily.

Ha! My fun points were more potential hernia related- it's only when you untighten your own tightening you realise how bloody strong you are!

That is the strangest chain whip I have ever seen, and can't see why another tool is necessary.

Originally this was a 5 speed cyclo chain whip with an exceptionally long good handle, but I modified
the design and upgraded it to 9 speed.

Attachments

• Whip.jpg
    Whip.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 345
Looks nice and strong- my problem (as well as being arrow dyslexic apparently) was that the first chain whip I used had a bb tool at the other end and was made of cheese: wasn't strong enough for purpose. The one I've just bought (technically for plumbers not bikers) cost less and is stronger. Needs a tiny bit of modifying to be perfect but will do that later...

I bought the clamps (oil filter remover) to modify into the cassette tool like park have, where it basically vice grips on a chain- might be better for me but needs work first. Its another option to throw at the wall and swear at if things aren't working out.

Prior to assembly, anti seize on everything. With a paint brush :D Clean up any that squishes out and thats set till you want it off. Tomorrow or ten years.

Re:

If you have problems with 1 weak arm, what I did in the early days when I had no money, is get a length of chain and a piece of 50mm×50mm wood, a good 2 feet of it (you could make it longer to make it easier). Screw the end of the chain into the side of the wood. The wood digs nicely into the cassette without damaging it and with a decent length of chain to wrap around the cassette to it won't slip.
Also try putting the wheel on its side, cassette facing straight up. Hold it between your stomach and a wall. Wrap the chain whip on, lock ring remover, and remember lefty loosey, righty tighty.

Back