Tablets (android and ipad)

You can get an ipad 1 16gb for about that money, i didn't pay much more than that for the 3g version.

I wanted to buy an android pad but my girlfriend made me buy an ipad, but i must admit grudgingly that it is pretty slick.

I've got an iPad 2, I tend to use it as a consumption machine - web browsing, iPlayer, music etc. I do a fair bit of long-haul travel and it's better than many airlines' video channels. Games apps are fantastic.

The screen is not brilliant for reading - OK, but not like a printed page (sorted on iPad 3).

The fact that all the mobile malware found by the internet security folk is on android puts me off the alternative. Google the McAfee Internet security reports and you'll see what I mean.
I want to use it, not tweak and fiddle and one of the things I hate about PCs is the amount of maintenance they seem to require.

I had a good attempt with android, and I actually thought it was pretty good. However, I would not buy an android tablet.

Something I have noticed coming from android to IOS is that basically any business that is developing anything on the 'mobile' platform is developing for IOS. There are lots of good apps for android, and a lot of the major app producers do both, especially for games, but there IMO there is a noticeable disparity in the volume of quality apps.

Just today I read that there are 225000 apps developed for the iPad, but only a few hundred developed specifically for android tablets.

You need to play with them all really, the answer might become quite clear to you then.

I owned a Windows 7 tablet (HP Slate 500) and an Android tablet (Galaxy tab 10.1), and sold both because they didn't impress me much.

The Slate was no match for a netbook and Win7 wasn't that much of a tablet OS (TBH I find it a crappy OS on the PC as well). It was nearly the size of my netbook as well, so basically it sacrificed a proper keyboard for mere style.

The Galaxy had a bigger screen than my smartphone (HTC Desire S), but apart from that it wasn't any better at anything the phone does. I really didn't see the point in carrying such a big tablet when my phone has the exact same functionality.
Sure, it's easier to read books on, but you might as well get a proper e-reader then. At least that doesn't put such a strain on your eyes.

Sure, there's still the iPad. However that's an Apple product.

Resisted the Apple product for ages but have now realised that resistance is futile we will be assimilated and it's epic and has totally changed the way I use the web .I also use it as a presenter at work ,it's simply brilliant and the best thing is it works every time faultlessly no need to suck up to some geek to fix it. It's expensive but it's worth every penny in value over the alternatives.

captaincosmic":1tp41x98 said:
Resisted the Apple product for ages but have now realised that resistance is futile we will be assimilated and it's epic and has totally changed the way I use the web .I also use it as a presenter at work ,it's simply brilliant and the best thing is it works every time faultlessly no need to suck up to some geek to fix it. It's expensive but it's worth every penny in value over the alternatives.

Congratulations. You've summed Apple up.

captaincosmic":2bb2gr6a said:
Well personally, I wouldn't have spent any more on a tablet than I did. If I had to spend something in the several hundreds, I wouldn't have - my need was not so great - in fact I didn't truly have any needs. I already had a smartphone, a Kindle and a laptop, and already there was another premium brand tablet in the household.

The only reason I bought a budget android tablet was because it was available at a budget price, but had great spec for that price. And truth be told, I've had great value out of it, and not once regretted not spending more on a better or more prestigious device.

My opinion, though, is that it all comes down to what I mentioned in my first post - trying to decide why you want a tablet and what do you expect to get out of it - what you will really want to do with it. As my main interest was watching video on it, clearly the amount of storage available is significant, as is a memory card slot. HDMI out was also very key as a feature.

I think iPads have their place - for example, my parents wanted a tablet type device - and were pretty much focused on an iPad (other members of the family have them) - in that example it's a pretty good fit. The problem is, though, they are not everything to everybody - although many advocates often seem to think they are.

Used both Android and Ipad tablet with work and at home, I have to say if given a choice of one I would pick the Ipad, less hassle works a treat and I'm not even a Apple fanboy either.

Another vote for the iPad.

I've had a Galaxy Tab and a Sony Vaio something or other, as well as an iPad 2 (16gb wifi) and now an iPad 3 (32gb wifi & 3G) which I'm currently writing this post from.

Unlike the iPhone, the iPad actually feels as if it deserves it's hefty price tag. Ive actually sold my laptop now as there was nothing on it which I actually used that I can't use the iPad for. I realise that this is not the case for everyone but it certainly is for me.

I also have an iPhone now, purely because of the whole iCloud sharing and syncing facility which is absolutely fantasic. I take a LOT of pictures and it's so good to be able to take photos on my phone when I'm out and about, and have them sat there waiting for me on the iPad when I get home so that I can edit them and incorporate them into documents.

I'm not a fanboy (believe me!), and until I got the iPad I was using Android phones, which were great. However, for sheer ease of use, the iPad for me wins hands down.

I think the phrase "it just works" sums the iPad up. You get it out of the box, switch it on and it all works with the absolute minimum of setup. The battery lasts forever (currently on 96% after a full cycle charge last night, 1 hour of gaming since 7am this morning and lots and lots of web browsing), and the sheer versatility of the thing set it apart for me.

There are many, many brilliant Android tablets out there for a lot less cash, but as far as I'm concerned, the Apple is worth the extra outlay. Even more so now that the iPad 2 has come down in price.

Some interesting posts and point of view.

Still pretty set on the budget android route if only because of the price and usage - expect this will get more use off the kids.

@Neil will have a look on slatedroid, not come across that before. Already on xda.

Just got to try and find which to go for now....

Back