Surprise 4%

Re:

....its a difficult one on the one hand I think yeah if its a reputable seller than fine on items under £100 to take the risk and gift it. Then we are only talking a couple of quid to pay the fees. So on an item for a tenner, an extra 40p...why cant the seller just swallow that cost in the asking price?

Doug

raidan73":3v4u1wzq said:
fagin":3v4u1wzq said:
If you pay gift, it adds the cost on (I think it's closer to 2%) and the buyer pays (or is given the option of who pays), if you pay goods, the seller pays.

But you only get protection with goods.

If you send money as a gift then there are no fees as long as there is no currency conversions or cross border transactions. The standard transaction fee for a goods payment is 3.4% + 20p

There are fees if Paypal is linked to your credit card, as mine is. Not I think if you have funds in PP or use a debit card.

But I have no actual real money.

It's the protection aspect really.

Re:

To clarify the guidelines/rules on PayPal payments from a site policy and moderating perspective.

We ask that all sales do not request gift payment as the only option, and we strongly recommend that everyone uses the standard 'goods' or non gift payment for all transactions.
This is due to the protection that PayPal offers should a transaction go awry.

It is of course up to the buyer and seller if they wish to save a few pence by using 'gift' payments.

Using gift payments does however contravene the terms and conditions of using PayPal for trading and it also isn't looked upon favourably should a trading dispute be raised on this forum.

On that note, if you pay for the protection included in a normal non gift payment then you can at least benefit from the assistance offered by PayPal if it is required.
The forum and it's moderators don't receive any percentage of any sales so any assistance we can give is done so on a purely voluntary basis.
This can be very time consuming especially when most of our time is spent dealing with removing spam posts, intervening in spats and, without mentioning any names, reading through endless drivel...

In the context of this particular issue, it is very poor form to ask for an extra percentage to be added on to a sale.

That sort of behaviour would be classified as bad trading and would certainly give grounds for action including, for example, formal warnings and temporary forum bans.

Re: Re:

drystonepaul":1tnatu4f said:
To clarify the guidelines/rules on PayPal payments from a site policy and moderating perspective.

We ask that all sales do not request gift payment as the only option, and we strongly recommend that everyone uses the standard 'goods' or non gift payment for all transactions.
This is due to the protection that PayPal offers should a transaction go awry.

It is of course up to the buyer and seller if they wish to save a few pence by using 'gift' payments.

Using gift payments does however contravene the terms and conditions of using PayPal for trading and it also isn't looked upon favourably should a trading dispute be raised on this forum.

On that note, if you pay for the protection included in a normal non gift payment then you can at least benefit from the assistance offered by PayPal if it is required.
The forum and it's moderators don't receive any percentage of any sales so any assistance we can give is done so on a purely voluntary basis.
This can be very time consuming especially when most of our time is spent dealing with removing spam posts, intervening in spats and, without mentioning any names, reading through endless drivel...

In the context of this particular issue, it is very poor form to ask for an extra percentage to be added on to a sale.

That sort of behaviour would be classified as bad trading and would certainly give grounds for action including, for example, formal warnings and temporary forum bans.

That about sums it up...thanks Paul!

Re:

I feel better now. To put this into perspective I've just looked at the sellers feedback thread and it runs into some dozens of pages, whilst I haven't read it all others here seem to feel he is a fair trader.

Anyway let's get back to making this site the friendly place it is and has always been. :)

Re:

From a sellers perspective to protect yourself when anyone pays by goods the item needs to be sent with some degree of tracking. Rarely does the 4 or 5% requested cover this extra cost, especially if sending overseas or if the item is low value (to address wooks point)

That's a point I hadn't considered.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I suppose as long as it's clear from the outset, two approximate adults can arrange something mutually satisfying.

Though my ex might disagree.

Re: Re:

Antstark":381rqm22 said:
From a sellers perspective to protect yourself when anyone pays by goods the item needs to be sent with some degree of tracking. Rarely does the 4 or 5% requested cover this extra cost, especially if sending overseas or if the item is low value (to address wooks point)

Fair point...but how about a price that reflects the tracking cost? If you were to state in the post that the price of the item includes tracked postage in the UK and for overseas buyers to contact for an accurate quote? That might help...

When i send funds AS a gift
If the funds come from my paypal or the bank account linked to it I PAY NO FEES.
If the payment comes though paypal via a debit/credit card FEES WOULD BE APPLICABLE
So it is really about fees :?

Im asking twenty quid for such and such
Im advertising as wanting twenty quid but when i look to see the payment, i find it isnt twenty quid, its 19 pounds( or whatever).
Ill go back to the sale page and yes i did say i wanted 20 not 19 :?

You want buyer protection ?? Ive got 13 pages of buyer protection. Goes astray, arrives broken, not quite as described, found a crack :shock: . Yup not a prob, send it back and ill refund you. AS the feedback suggests(Given they all glow) but you can also include as you all know, 'well its not quite the right thing' or 'look :) its like this.....'

Tell you what. How about SOLD AS SEEN ;) :LOL:

And another thing :evil:

Sell a mech and ask £30(XT nice con Rear,you know) most here seem in include postage in their asking price but postage isnt just the only outlay is it ?.
Posting time.
2nd class recorded £3 Probably about £2.85. Packaging ? A jiffy, box or maybe the frame box the bikeshoppe made you buy an innertube at a fiver to get. Transport to the postoffice (and home again) Bubblewrap ? That free ? I think not.

So the truth of it most if not all of us dont ask anything for any of the above.

But in defence of the buyer
4% isnt much really on small items but when you get into the exotic expensive then that adds up to a pretty penny. There should or could rather :) be compromise reached in such situations.

But in the defence of the seller, especially if theyre UK based :LOL:
People abroad in EU and beyond use bank transfers which i believe are considerably cheaper on fees and in many cases no fees are charges
It appears to me at least, that people in the UK, arent really that trusting in handing over bank details for a transfer and i think thats mainly because its not used as often in the UK as the EU.

That everything or are we going for page 3 ?

Re:

I'm of two minds on this one. For blind transactions with a "new to me" seller I like the security of PayPal's "protection". I've never had to use it, I did once have to "shame" a seller on another forum for re-posting something he was supposed to have shipped me 6 months previously (all settled amicably with an apology and a quick shipment), but I have seen other people get burned in online transactions. If I'm doing a repeat transaction with a seller I've had good experience with in the past I'll usually tick the gift box without being asked.

Whether it's a you pay or I pay, 3-4% doesn't seem like a deal killer for most of the stuff I'm after.

YMMV, Ted

Back