Surprise 4%

Re:

The %added is just ease, you can calculate the actual fees on various websites. Or used gift and a credit card to adjust till the fee is the correct amount.
And yes some online places they add a % to the total with PayPal to cover fees. Same with credit card payments etc.

I know what I do and when, but that is up to me.

There are only a few on here trying to make money out of stuff and I treat and see most as just pass stuff on to help others out. But then these are at that sort of price where gifting (basically paying cash) works.

There are may other methods from banks now (pay by phone number) so details are not needed really.
Google wallet is another option too etc.

I agree though it shouldn't be a last minute thing and that is the issue here.
You could always suggest paying by a different method?
I've payed BACS a few times on here.

Each to their own and it's up to you if you want to pay.

On a side note.

adding on the 4% gives the ability to post a "unified" price for bank transfer/cash/paypal gift/paypal

it's generally a small amount to pay for the reassurance if you feel you need it, although I'd trust any RB gold trader with a gift.

I just absorb it and dont rely on any sort of profit from cycling related stuff. I'll look at recent ebay sales and try to undercut it all by 20% too. If it sells, it sells, if it doesnt it sits in a box.

No hidden 4% from me!

Situation

2 items come up for sale. One is listed with the 4% already added into the price, the other not. They're identical

I know which one will get more interest, despite the fact that at the end of the day they're charging the same price

most of the stuff sold on here is of a pretty low value, to the point where some of it isn't even worth your time to sell. I won't sell anything unless after all costs I've still got at least a fiver, my time is worth more. Anything worth less goes charity/bike jumbling

I see both sides to this, really. I think the answer is clear communication and to understand the deal - perhaps not making any assumptions on what is implied.

I'm not a prolific trader - all I've ever done on here is buy stuff. And for as long as I can remember, I (nearly) always pay by paypal goods (or occasionally the odd bank transfer). I use an online fees calculator to work out the fees, and factor that in to the amount I'm paying.

I do that, largely, because it seems to fit best within both the rules / guidelines here, and convention.

Were somebody selling the same parts on ebay? Well they'd have to take the hit on fees themselves, plus ebay's piece of the action. I mean, don't get me wrong, I understand the position in somebody advertising something, here, and saying: "I just want X pounds for it, I'm not really too bothered about how you make that payment, so long as I get it." Thing is, though, on ebay they'd have to factor that in to the price they've decided is their minimum - or open low, and hope bids get up to the amount they wanted.

Apart from people just breaking bad, most of these issues seem to occur because of poor communication or ambiguity. There's rarely any malice aforethought, or true bad trading. So the little things? Perhaps they'd be eased by just being more explicit in communication / adverts, and not making any assumptions.

Re:

I used to ask for Gift or buyer pays the fee but I always stated it upfront.

Now I usually forget and then just take what comes. To be honest most people on here pay by gift without a prompt anyway.

Naughty to ask after the sale's agreed though.

I too don't mention gift or goods, I lave that up to the buyer and will take whatever comes.

As for buying, I'll happily pay gift to trusted members. All others get paid for goods. If they don't agree with that, the deal is off.

Always upfront and both options offered. I'd like to think my feedback here and on ebay speaks for my trustworthyness. Seller decides if he wants to pay for insurance. Just like paying extra for legal protection on car insurance.

I replied earlier but it didn't post.

If the seller is asking for £50 then that's the amount he wants. If the buyer wants to use a service that charges him then he needs to pay for it. If I buy something and arrange to pick it up in person and pay cash, then I'm not going to minus the cost of petrol or bus fare that I incur while picking it up!

Back