Sunn Obsys air/oil forks advice needed

Awesome - thank you!

When I first got them and changed the oil (they did have signs of fluid leakage around the mainseals), I ham-fistedly over-torqued one of the adjuster dials and heard a 'pop' inside one of the legs, but hoped it wasn't anything serious and ignored it.

Well, after a coupe shakedown rides of the newly built bike, I found the shocks to be both leaking (one badly), so completely apart they come (thanks to Fluffychicken and Wadsy for advice!). The 'pop' I had heard, I learned, was the adjuster rod top-out e-clip being forced off the end of the rod when I had turned the adjuster dial beyond the top-out point (because it wasn't aligned properly), as it (the clip) came gushing out with all the fork oil when I pressurized them apart.

Luckily the adjuster rods are the metal ones, and were still in fine order, so I sourced some new c-clips of the correct size, and then scrounged all the other bits required (got lucky and found some new bushings and decent dust-wipers from another local forum member) and decided to take a chance and get the lower legs painted in a unique color, which color should 'set' the bike's paintjob off nicely.

Thing is, I have found the stantions to have a couple very very tiny, hairline marks on their surface right around where the mainseals will be sliding (the prior owner had used them off-road without the dust boots in place, presumably becasue they looked 'cooler'), but the marks are so minor (barely visible unless very closely inspected) so I'm hoping that with fresh new mainseals and o-rings ... they'll be holding all their fork oil tight again.

I guess I'll find out in a few weeks, after the paint has had a chance to sufficiently cure and I have aa go at re-assemblng them again.

It's all a learning experience!

Re: sunn obsys fork

The seal kits for this have arrived from France thanks to a very helpful chap there. I ordered three: one for me, one spare in case I screw it up and one for sale if anyone needs, for what it cost me. It's not a "for sale" point so much as just letting you guys who were interested know that it's available. Not sure when I'll get round to fitting mine!

Re:

This is three sets: one set comprises 4 rubber seals, 2 bungs and 2 metal star thingies.

They're getting them made in France specially, when they get 20 ordered they get them made up.

I do have someone already expressing an interest...

Latest posts

Back