Sunn Exact Ti

Re:

I think this is a '94 model bike based on the serial number (frame made in 93 for the 94 range), and probably low-to-mid range based on the rack mounts - i don't think anything above a 5000 came with rack mounts. Its hard to tell from the photo but I think the fork might actually be a re-stickered Obsys (97-99) rather than a Chaos (95-96).

Your old Xircuit was from 99.

Re:

Thanks guys it is not TI but chrome steel, I am ok with that. Although miffed about why someone would put TI stickers on it
Fork is post 96 as it has no hole for a canti cable stop, and it is seized, so if I keep the bike I will go rigid.
I will photo stickers and see what you guys think.

Re:

Hey guys, so can anyone tell me what model it may be, we are thinking 93-94(Thanks Renaldo) so it would have been cantilever.
I have some 1 inch rigid's so I may mess around with it a bit, will be more commuter orientated though able to do low level gravel road/track type riding with a tyre change.

Could someone please explain the Morati Sunns to me? I am gathering that Morati was a frame building company or frame designer?

Re: Re:

Bicycle Addict":2lnljbq6 said:
Hey guys, so can anyone tell me what model it may be, we are thinking 93-94(Thanks Renaldo) so it would have been cantilever.
I have some 1 inch rigid's so I may mess around with it a bit, will be more commuter orientated though able to do low level gravel road/track type riding with a tyre change.

Could someone please explain the Morati Sunns to me? I am gathering that Morati was a frame building company or frame designer?

I know a little (and hopefully it is correct). Morati was a Russian titanium frame builder (as well as other components like forks, and a chainset too I believe). They even did a soft tail I think.

They were well regarded bitd, and for a few years also supplied Sunn with titanium frames for their Exact Ti series. They have distinctive seat stays, and some had an even more distinctive way of connecting the chain stays to the bottom bracket (a sort of plate). You can see what I mean in these pics:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=281373

I have a more modern titanium frame (Van Nicholas Zion) as well as a Sunn Morati - and I rate the Sunn much higher. There is just something about the ride which makes you smile as you just feel it wants to go fast. It's probably not quite as stiff as more modern frames though. The frame is incredibly light too. When mine arrived in the post - the missus couldn't believe it was a bike frame.

Re:

I have one too. They were made by Mora Aerospace in the Czech Republic (Mora titanium - hence Morati) The company made titanium products for the aerospace industry such as turbine fan blades. Bike frames and components was a bit of a sideline and when the company was taken over by Honeywell it seems this sideline was abandoned.

They applied the same quality control to the bike division as they did aerospace including x-raying frame welds. Their cranks however had a reputation for failing. The Sunn branded frames can be identified by the SM (SunnMorati) prefix on the frame number and had Sunn's logo polished into the downtube and headtube. Very nicely put together and nice riding frame. I've not heard of one cracking yet but I'd be interested to know if anyone has.

Re:

Thanks for all the replies,
I looked through the catalogs in the link, could not find one that matched completely, my one has the 3 cable bosses along the top tube, seems to be 1 inch steerer, and it is the rack boss on the rear drop out that I can not match, most bikes in the link had 2 bosses on the rear drop out and upper seat stay rack bosses where mine does not.
I did find a Tange sticker near the BB though although that like the other stickers may be fake.

Re hashing this thread, I am going to sell this frame as I have too many bikes in need of full pull down to rebuild.

The reality at the moment kinda means liking a bike a lot does not mean I have the money to build it as well as all the others I have.

Can anyone confirm that it is indeed a Sunn frame?

Back