Sun 'Mist'

wurzelmike":rctukny7 said:
I'd be interested to know why the forks are 'typical Raleigh' they look identical to the ones on the bike i've posted but maybe the pics aren't the best quality. But probably it's me :)

Im referring to the tubular fork crown with the silver thimbles or dimples at each end.

I always assumed that the 'thimble' type crown was something that came with 'value for money' bikes, rather than being typically Raleigh. But i suppose it was just an assumption on my part.

Maybe they were just more common on Raleigh's but not exclusive to them?

The traditional Raleigh fork crown was a casting, finished on either side with a "thimble".
This was used for over 70 years, and distinguished Raleigh from other makes. Hercules did produce an imitation, and the various Raleigh makes used other patterns, often the only difference between the bikes.
The post WW2 Raleigh fork blade was round in section and made from cold rolled and welded tubing which was ductile and easily deformed, so could be easily reset after being damaged.
Keith

Thanks for the info Keith, I've tried looking for books about old bikes but haven't really found anything really useful, yet. But I'll keep trying.

Re: Sun Mist

Hello, I just had to jump in here because I am searching for a Sun Mist and google threw up this thread.

I suppose it must have been in 1966 I first laid eyes on a white "Mist" , I was 12 then and it was the most beautiful bicycle I had ever seen. Priced at £26-17/6p it was a lot of money in those days, I had been bottom of the class at grammar school and my mum and dad said if I improved I could have it for Christmas. I knuckled down and did my homework and behaved in class for the next term. Every day I walked past the cycle shop and saw it in the window and wanted it so much. Then one day it was gone - I was devastated. To cut short, my parents had reserved it, it was delivered Christmas Eve and I went downstairs Christmas Day and it was leaning against the tree. I rode it for quite a few years until I got motorbikes, I don't know where it ended up but am now trying to obtain one the same, just because.....................memories.

Anyway, mine was white, a very pale almost blueish white that I could never match with a touch up paint. It came with plastic wraparound guards in a deep red metallflake sort of finish. It had light blue handlebar tape. DROP BARS and the gear lever was on the front downtube. Weinmann centre pull brakes, Derailleur 5 speed, and a slim Brooks leather saddle. For me it was very special.

Incidentally I went from 26th to 17th in class that Christmas - but slipped back to the bottom for the rest of my school days.

thanks for dropping in pjtives, really, really love your story and it sounds like your Mist was something special too.

I wish I could help with your search for one, but in the last year or so I've found out very little about the 'Mist' model. Although it seems that earlier versions than mine came with drop bars,
when they changed I'm not sure. I'll keep on trying to find out more, and if I come across anything interesting I'll post here.
Seems like these bottom of the range bike have a few fans around here :D

Just been looking around for Sun Mist info and came across this page http://veterancycleclublibrary.org.uk/l ... 4&items=16

could spend hours looking through these pages

but one interesting page relating to my 'Mist' is below. It seems that the Mist came in four types, at least in 1970, a childrens version, a GT version, and Sports Gents and Ladies.

p.s. the childrens version came in White with Red/Blue panelling and matching guards (1970)

Attachments

• sun 1965small.JPG
    sun 1965small.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 527
Re:

Thanks for the link . That'd be mine the Sun Mist Sport, still reckon mine would be 67. One thing I notice is that my brakes where not traditional simple side pull, although the cable was on the side they had quite a complicated sliding lever arrangement such that they functioned a bit like a centre pull - equal on both sides, I am sure they were Weinmann but cannot find any images on google, nor ebay. Can anyone tell me what they were.

Re: Re:

pjtives":23egt91m said:
Thanks for the link . That'd be mine the Sun Mist Sport, still reckon mine would be 67. One thing I notice is that my brakes where not traditional simple side pull, although the cable was on the side they had quite a complicated sliding lever arrangement such that they functioned a bit like a centre pull - equal on both sides, I am sure they were Weinmann but cannot find any images on google, nor ebay. Can anyone tell me what they were.

Sound like the may well be GB Synchrons - a sort of mixture of centre and side pull. Sun used them on a few models in the 70s for sure.

Back