Orange Dynamo road bike information

Clairuscat

Retro Newbie
Hi all,
I have a Retro Orange Dynamo which I have had for quite a few years. It was my friends originally who used to race mountain bikes for Orange in the '90's, I think she was given it by Orange during that time. I don't know too much about them and I can't find much about them online either. I saw a few posts on here so thought I'd ask if anyone would know how much it would likely to be worth? and I guess would anyone like to buy it off me?! ha ha. I've not used it for quite a few years now and it's been sitting in my garage so its in really good condition but would need a complete replacement of all cables and probably inner tubes. It has all its original bits.
Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_8261.jpeg
    IMG_8261.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8262.jpeg
    IMG_8262.jpeg
    447.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8263.jpeg
    IMG_8263.jpeg
    519 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8265.jpeg
    IMG_8265.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 18
hey, i have a D2, aka the Dynamo 2, the 2nd gen version of this, mine is now unfortunately cracked but is very similar to this one, assuming the frame is not cracked like mine i'd say it's worth resonable money to the right person, they are pretty rare simply because Orange didn't have many made. price wise £200 to £400 i'd say as a max but there are some issues with the bike i can spot just from those pictures, i'd suggest that anyone buying it would be buying it for the frame/fork as the parts have been changed over the years which affects the value negatively, if you sell it on here you need to put it in the for sale section with a price, as per the forum rules, also size information will help, looks like a 54cm (my size!) so i could tempted pending better/more pics! also, wherther you are willing to poost it will also affect how much you'll get for it

Hi Johnny
Thank you for your reply. I had no idea that things has been changed on it, I guess my friend must have done it before I got it off her. As far as I know the frame is in really good nick so no cracks, and the forks too. It's actually only 50cm, it's pretty small. Thanks for the tip about selling. I'll take a few more pics and find that section and put it on. Sorry it won't fit you! that's a shame! Do you think close up pics of the forks and frame would be a good move for selling it? anything else that would be good? thanks again x

All I know is they didn't make many, and they're quite popular when they come up for sale. Think there were two variants, one with a wishbone - which was the latter

I spent a good while looking for one but ended up buying a NOS RX9 that someone had lying around (as you do!)

Might be worth name dropping who had it originally as if it was a well known racer that could add value and interest.

@Clairuscat 50cm, that's a bummer for me then! doesn't look that small to be honest! pics wise, frankly add loads as they speak a thousand words. full drive side, full pic non drive side, close up on chainset area, close up on rear mech area, close up of the rims so people can judge rim wear, i like to add close up of the various tubing joints, headtube, seat tube to top tube, seat tube to BB etc, pics of the hubs logos etc always useful. with all those you shouldn't need to type out much. rough area location is useful for those willing to collect, but when talking only give postcode and mobile number, drive to that post code at agreed time, then they can call, don't show people you don't know anything else you have lying about as you don't know them! deal with them at the fron tof your house and they can test ride if they leave the money in your hand, all common sense but worth reminding people of this stuff!

Hi @Clairuscat that's a Nice Orange Dynamo, I have one just like it 😀.
The frame looks in good condition, I'm guessing the Shimano 105 bits and wheels might be original, same goes for the saddle & seatpost, the Tiagra parts are obviously new replacements. Value is subjective, but similar bikes have sold in the last few years for £300-400.
Orange didn't make many of these, so on the one hand they're relatively "rare", but on the other hand the market for them is fairly niche.
The other thing is the small frame size may limit the number of people interested in it.
It may take a while to sell, or it may sell straight away if someone is interested and it happens to be their size, although it seems at the moment retro bike prices are fairly deflated, so don't get your hopes up too much.
If you could mention the name of your friend who used to ride for Orange and gave you the bike that will add to the provenance of the bike & might help it sell.

Back