Strava advice

Re:

It takes long enough to upload photos and do a ride report.

Would be interesting to see how much climbing I do on my rides that's all

Mike

And you top speed, averages, climb categories etc etc.

Hours of contemplation. When you consider what we've spent on bikes, wouldn't it bo good to know how we're riding them? I find it fascinating to see the analysis and mapping.

And before you ask, don't even think about competing with others. It's all for you. Do it. You'll love it. So simple to set up.

Another recent convert to Strava here. Started out using the phone app but soon went with a Garmin - as long as you've got a laptop/PC/etc to upload the data to it's far better than using a phone. For Strava purposes a basic model is plenty good enough, or you can use a Forerunner watch, and lots of those can be picked up very cheaply indeed. I find Strava gives me motivation to go another couple of miles, push a bit harder up the hills, get out on days when you're in two minds about it, etc. And it's a great feeling after a good ride to know you've got the data to look up right afterwards as a little pat on the back to yourself.

It's also had the effect of getting me started on going running, which I've never really been interested in, and depressingly it turns out I'm a far better runner than I am a cyclist...

Re:

Mike

I use a windows phone and Strava via an App called Cycle track which was free and for a few quid it'll interface with Strava. You'll then need to open a strava account which isn't a great deal more money for the basic one. I love it and the power drain on the phone is tiny.

Spudz

Re:

Thanks again retro friends.

I wouldn't even contemplate competing, a friend of mine did when I got back into mtb riding, I hadn't even heard of strava then. I saw what he became. Obsessive about being tastes in sectors.
I have computers on some of my road bikes, and find it depressing to look down and see the speed I'm doing when I think I'm flying along!

Thanks Spud, I've put that app on my phone now, and got a free strava account. What that will allow remains to be seen though. If the phone itself allows elevation gained, that's all I really want to know.

Mikey

Re:

Well. I tried the Cycle Track gps that I'd downloaded yesterday, but kept losing gps for some reason. On.a 2hr ride, it recorded 44mins, with 2060ft of climbing in 9 miles :roll:

No signal? Simple as that?

Mike

Re:

Since realized, being in my pocket wasn't helpful for the signal! :facepalm:

Phone GPS just isn't reliable enough in my experience - if you're using it for long rides like this you can't rely on a constant signal or at least an accurate one, which will make the data unreliable even if you have some signal all the way round. So another vote for a cheap (2nd hand) Garmin Edge or Forerunner for me!

Re:

Cheers FS and THM, looking into Garmins later then. Shame if they're only any good bike mounted, especially on an old bike though

Latest posts

Back