Strange Carlton Frame

Now then, now then, I didn't start this thread with the object of being derogatory about the seller. I was interested in seeing if anyone could shed any light as to this frame's provenance. We have several Carlton afficionados here so I hoped one of them might have something to say.

From the little I can see in the pics It looks like a DIY mod. It's what we used to call well did. It seems to have started as an ordinary but decent spec Raleigh/Carlton, perhaps the tall owner wanted it a bit stiffer.
For extra stiffness a quantity manfacturer would have made it with heavier guage 531.
It reminds me a bit of Dave Bedwell's Dayton in 1950, bronze welded with extra external steel fillets up from the bottom bracket.
Reg Harris (1950's) had extra stiffening from the bottom bracket inside the tubes.

Its a new one on me. The frame certainly is a 'late' Carlton gate ala Pro Am 12, however the reinforcement webbing is something Ive never seen at all, does the lurid paint job possibly cover a bit brazing work? Could look quite modern if built up!

The base frame looks like the range launched at the Harrogate Bike show 1978........with a few mods :)

IMHO The reply from the seller is pretty reasonable given the circumstances.

My first Midlife crisis involved a Turbocharged Subaru Impreza with methanol injection and 400 BHP and the forum I used / use was awash with a lot of vitriol when sellers decided to post on the forum...

Shaun

Suppose it comes down to how much we are purists about our favourite marques or machines...

Re: Caveat Emptor.

roadking":1a9e5rgr said:
Caveman says he's no bike buff (?!), so why call him for more information - if I were a retailer I would be providing the"more"information without having to request it - anyone remember Arfur Daly?

Roadking.

Roadking - If you call with a question that I cannot answer you will be passed to my boss. This was fairly obvious from my post where I introduced myself as not being the business owner.
If I was to list every tiny detail that people phone and request from me every day, we wouldn't have anywhere near as many frames listed because it would take forever. Believe me, people ask me questions daily that you wouldn't believe.

Feel free to discuss us all you like.
All I meant in my post was that if there are any errors on the site then you should let me know so they can be corrected so as not to confuse people.

Just been having a look at this site, there are one or two bits on that really interest me... :D

Back