Stem rotates but won't come out. Why?

420mTrax

Dirt Disciple
I'm dismantling my Peugeot 531pro-framed project. It has a Cinelli stem in the headstock. The quill is disengaged (wedge has dropped out).
I can rotate the stem but it won't come up out of the fork tube.
Any idea why?

I'm dismantling my Peugeot 531pro-framed project. It has a Cinelli stem in the headstock. The quill is disengaged (wedge has dropped out).
I can rotate the stem but it won't come up out of the fork tube.
Any idea why?
Try slackening the top of the headset .

This happened to me, with a cinelli stem, am I right in thinking it’s not the typical wedge design but the other one?

Anyway, I screwed the stem bolt back in, then hit the top of the bolt with a hammer, dislodging the wedge thing from inside the stem and then pulled it out.

This happened to me, with a cinelli stem, am I right in thinking it’s not the typical wedge design but the other one?

Anyway, I screwed the stem bolt back in, then hit the top of the bolt with a hammer, dislodging the wedge thing from inside the stem and then pulled it out.
I think it's a Cinelli thing with a kind of concentric bung in the end. But I don't really know because I can't see it. I've stuck a long rod down and it feels like there's nothing in there and the bung / wedge has dropped away.

said the wedge had dropped out so assumed it was a normal quill rather than an expander. even with a a standard quill this is the normal process. :)

hehe wang.

Back