Steel frame weights

Whats an average or good frame weight for a decent steel frame ? I've no experience in retro steellees
Look at the bottom of the forum pop in to Weenies.

But for 19/20".
4.5lb to 4.75lb is a good light weight frame with high quality tubing. Likely turn of the 90s or later 90s

93 ish to mid 90s then you can get to a tad over 4lb
after the drop the weight aim and before they beefed them up again.

Smaller sizes of course reduce the weight.

Up to 19" size, weight around 2 kg or less is a good sign of at least double butted quality tubes. Late 90's saw the mass market of stupidly light (and possibly fragile too) frames, built from e.g. Columbus, Dedacciai, Fuji, Ritchey WCS/Nitanium (custom modified Tange), Tange Ultimate Superlight material. Then came new regulations, longer susp. forks, etc, so the the frames had to be bulkier. Frame wall thickness went as low as 0.5/0.8 mm, so a heavier curse word would have dented them easily 😜 .

I tend to buy team or top-notch frames only as they should remain desirable in the long run anyway. And what's the point having meh stuff whan life's too short?!

I had a C. Foco steel frame (unknown brand) in 18" at 1600 gr. weight made for V-brakes - for a 100 kg man (yours truly) it was certainly questionable to ride it properly, so I sold it unbuilt to a member here. My Breezer Lightning comes at 1700 gr in 18.5" and I guess it has nice weight/sturdiness ratio, if a bit still too easy to dent.

Well for data.. it just so happens that I have a 1993 Marin Team Marin 19” (20.5 to top) completely stripped. That’s 2.065kg on my scales

And a (1994 none “750g”) with 183mm threaded. Actually came out at 0.865kg

Back