Seat tube dent on Fuji Stout Light CrMo steel frame

E2024

Retro Newbie
IMG20240312193215.jpg i bought this Massi Over Speed MTB this week end and noticed the dent visible in the pic of today...should I worry about it? I have read minor dents are not critical on steel frames however if there are some experts out there.....comments welcome. Other than that I also noticed the previous owner filled the bottom of the seat tube with paper.....anyone here would have an idea what he wanted to achieve or prevent here?

I'd ride it and I'm heavier than a baby gorilla (and a female gorilla, and likely a young male one). Dent isn't that significant, not near weld and as Woz said it isn't ultralite ultrathin something something

Once you've got the paper out, you will find it's a map showing you the location of the buried shipping container full of toga disc drive wheels.
Let's hope they used waterproof ink😉

A dent is only reckoned structurally significant if its width approaches that of the tube diameter - and you'd assume that would be across the tube.
Your dent is fine.

But sometimes dents "attract" corrosion, due to damage of the finish and perhaps changes to the temper or structure of the metal, so clean and treat it internally

The only time we've seen or heard of unusual seat tube contents at the shop, its been related to "stash".

Back