SRAM Eagle "Transmission"

I agree with a lot of the points, but have you ever ridden properly tech off road with an IGH? I have and the bike feels awful. All that weight lumped right at the end of the bike felt like a sledge hammer. Kept it like that for 3-4 months then put a 10 speed cassette on the bike felt 100x better. That was on a hardtail, it would cause even more issues on full suspension.

Pinion have the right idea mounting their gearbox low in the front triangle. Unfortunately it doesn’t have a reputation for efficiency of great shifting. I think that’s why you only really see them on long travel bikes where downhill performance is key. Obviously you need a bespoke frame as well, so you’re stuck with it, unlike my easy swap to a new wheel.

I think the birth of a properly usable gearbox will come out of ebike development. Weight won’t be such an issue and it makes so much more sense for durability. Then again, the big players would need to try to come up an agreed mounting pattern otherwise the frame could be tied to one make. They can’t even do this with ebike motors yet.
So what we really need is a system that's light weight, doesn't need exposed parts that are easy to damage doesn't require a bespoke frame, is backwards compatible and doesn't add yet another standard to the crazy list of standards?

I hope we all agree with this list.

in which case, I crown single speed the drivetrain winner.

Whilst in the garage I thought i would grab a shot of the Shimano version, not quite the same I know.

sdirect.jpg

Whilst in the garage I thought i would grab a shot of the Shimano version, not quite the same I know.

View attachment 724456

Were these any good?

I've seen them go cheap and in good condition, 9 speed is fine for me. Needed a special hub axle if I remember right but it could be fitted to any normal cup and cone hub for example?

Were these any good?

I've seen them go cheap and in good condition, 9 speed is fine for me. Needed a special hub axle if I remember right but it could be fitted to any normal cup and cone hub for example?

The mech screws on to a 10mm steel through axle, or I should say the axle screws into the mech. Both mine are bolts, though I have seen a QR version, and if you can convert a hub to fit the 10mm bolt then I cant see a reason it would not work, though I cant recall ever seeing one.

The mechs are not the lightest, being designed for strength more than weight, and with the Saint hub it is a heafty setup.

Here is a pic I just grabbed of the hub and bolt.

sainthub.jpg

.....mmmh. Cheers for this. Have been thinking about this route for many a while - got a SS frame with vertical drop-outs but now living in a hilly area. It's this or hub gear. Don't like the idea of hanger plates on this particular frame.

Sorry guys for wandering a little, carry on with the Eagle Beagle assassination ;)

Been looking on their web site and it looks like this new mech wont fit to a frame with a mech hanger? Would have cut it off my frames!!! Also 135 wide frame will be to narrow? Still i like the new improved gear shifter .

Back