SRAM Eagle "Transmission"

Kind of torn on this. On the one hand I do think bike companies are held back by backwards compatibility but with this I struggle to see the gains. I can see them wanting to make the mech mount stronger but I’m sure they could have done this without changing the cassette spacing. Also, why change the chainring mount? They’ve used a 3 bolt pattern for years and it’s brilliant. Now they’ve gone to 8 (I think) just to tie you to new cranks as well. That really is 🐂💩

I love my AXS stuff and can’t say I’ve ever found the shift lacking. My original mech did a year on my hardtail and has been on the ebike for another 2 years with no issues.

Prices are crazy, even if durability claims are true. I run a mix of GX and NX cassettes on different wheels and could get four or five of them for the price of one of those.
Quite telling that they haven’t bothered with GX level components. Nobody is being forced into buying it though and I suppose for the handful of riders at the sharp end of XC racing where a bad shift could cost a race, it would be worth it. Mind you, I bet none of them are actually buying their own parts though.

direct to axle derailleur mounting. rather like shitty 90's bikes with flat faced shimano jobbies. :)

I wonder if this is the final point where innovation has peaked and all further improvements are marginal rather than giant leaps.

I wonder if this is the final point where innovation has peaked and all further improvements are marginal rather than giant leaps.

Never say never, but the fact that wheel size, at least for the moment has paused development, and dictates or plays a large part in overall geo, then it does feel like we've reached the high point. However, Joe Breeze confidently told me that 36" would be real thing in the next 10 years. He's got 5 years left for that to come true ;-) (Doddy rode one last year).

ABS brakes, if made affordable, would make a notable difference. Internal routing/fully wireless as standard another. We can be certain there will be something else...

Transmission wise, the last leap (too far for some riders) was ditching the front mech, combined with wide ratio cassettes.
The next leap will/should be gearboxes.
Everything else, including electronic shifting, is just tweaking existing set ups.

The direct mount rear mech is not really a new concept, I still have a Shimano direct mount system sat in my garage. I do like the idea though and for strength, which is what Shimano designed it for, along with lower profile, it makes sense.

It will be a long time before I can afford that set anyway, or even one of their sets from earlier years to be fair :)

Back