SRAM Eagle "Transmission"

No matter how much I think this is overpriced I do love the safety jockey wheel system.

I think it won’t outlast an IGH you can still stand on that as well.

Sram tech meeting: "How many gimmicks can we throw at our new drivetrain and convince mountain bikers they need them?"

So, you'll all have to excuse me as I've had a few and I decided I want go have a go at this proper finally
I'll preface this by saying I hate derailleurs, I think they're pesky things, but I also do recognise the beauty of a derailleur setup. It's relatively inexpensive, fairly easy to replace (very perishable), and ultimately allows you to have a proper wide spread of gears. That's if you're going mechanical of course. So, in other words, the beauty of an external drivetrain to me is that it's easily replaceable at a relatively low cost. That's why I'd go for a derailleur. It's a really really basic design that does the job, even with all the electric jimmydidoos and daddididoodas it shouldn't be as expensive as presented here.

Now anyway, that leads me to my actual point. How come they're trying to perfect derailleurs, which have already been perfected? In their mechanical state they're absolutely capable of just about anything thrown at them, sure, they take a knock and get knackered - this may improve that - but ultimately we're still talking a component protruding FROM the frame, sticking out towards the environment, and it's bound to get knocked. And sure, it may be able to withstand it better than other derailleurs, but at the end of the day it's not going to last long is it?

So my question is, how come they're not investing this time and effort into making more affordable IGH, electronically shifted with a much wider spread of gears? Compete with Rohloff. I don't get it. There's far more to be said for tapping into the market of electrically shifted IGH than derailleurs. An IGH be it electrically shifted or not will always outlast an external gear setup, and as such it'd make sense to perfect the craft of an IGH. Derailleurs have had very very marginal benefits from going 'wireless'. IGH would be a world of difference as it allows cheaper IGH to index on a hub level rather than relying on mechanical cable pull, it could provide cheap reliable shifting to the masses at a fraction of the cost..

Oh wait..

That's it.

A derailleur costing you the equivalent of a used decent used car will ultimately break and you'll have to get a new one.. That was the sales technique all along.. Gotcha.

Yup. The entire drive train is disposable, elements are replaced when worn out or damaged in this current form dating +100 years now.

Nothing new nor impressive for me. I lasted 8 mins into the video and couldn't wrap my head around a business case of a stocking ordinary rear mechs and frames vs. this new hype. The whole thing about the chain, cassette, and again widening out the rear end was downright daft.

Personally think Pinon drive is the answer. I want a bike where I can replace wheels cheaply (because they can get trashed), but will put good money on a solid frame with a good solid internal gear box protected in a central location away from obvious harm.

I'm with the others. If you want to move things forward, the derailleur is not the way.
But why invent that when you can milk axles standards for all they're worth?

There's just no way I'm paying for a thousand dollar cassette with no titanium on it. The material value is not there.
Well, I wouldn't pay that for any cassette, mtb or road. But certainly not a mtb one.
And the chain costs AUD$229.

My last 9 speed ultegra cassette cost AUD$62 (shipped).

Well I stood on it and the hanger didn’t even bend so can I sell my lx derailleur for £1000 if I run alongside and Make bzzzzt noises?

I agree with a lot of the points, but have you ever ridden properly tech off road with an IGH? I have and the bike feels awful. All that weight lumped right at the end of the bike felt like a sledge hammer. Kept it like that for 3-4 months then put a 10 speed cassette on the bike felt 100x better. That was on a hardtail, it would cause even more issues on full suspension.

Pinion have the right idea mounting their gearbox low in the front triangle. Unfortunately it doesn’t have a reputation for efficiency of great shifting. I think that’s why you only really see them on long travel bikes where downhill performance is key. Obviously you need a bespoke frame as well, so you’re stuck with it, unlike my easy swap to a new wheel.

I think the birth of a properly usable gearbox will come out of ebike development. Weight won’t be such an issue and it makes so much more sense for durability. Then again, the big players would need to try to come up an agreed mounting pattern otherwise the frame could be tied to one make. They can’t even do this with ebike motors yet.

Back