Spokes twanging under braking??

trxrincon":11kldafr said:
The History Man":11kldafr said:
Farnk's front disc make the spoke noise when it heats up. maybe it's adjusted too close?

Say again buddy? I've just swapped wheels and it doesn't do it with another wheel in place, looks like the Crossride is to blame?

After heavy downhill, the front sounds like a very gentle finger rub across the spokes Wears off when it cools down again. I was thinking wavey edged disc interference would cause it.

The different wheel you tried, was it also a different disc rotor?

Are all the rotor mounting bolts done up tight? If not it can move when the brake is applied, and make very strange sounds

THM, it's hardly been ridden to be honest, it does it when standing still. Jimo, it's a centre lock rotor, it's on tight. No rotor on other wheel I just pushed the bike up to the wall and it was still twang/pinging.

Re:

Perhaps stating the obvious, but it sounds like the caliper is fouling the spokes when the forks flex under braking.

Re:

Im pretty certain you need to get your spoke tension checked out.I had an identical problem recently-pinging/twanging under braking and the wheelbuilder sorted it in the truing stand.

Re: Re:

Woz":1yh3qrq0 said:
Perhaps stating the obvious, but it sounds like the caliper is fouling the spokes when the forks flex under braking.

Sorry to sound thick but how do you mean?

Re:

The disk brake caliper inbord side may be a nats cock distance from the spokes to begin with. Natural "twisting" of the fork lowers when you brake may be enough to cause the said apocalypse.

Does that mean it would do it every turn of the wheel?, when the wheel turns its quiet and only does it when I come to a complete stop and there's a bit weight on the front end. It didn't do it when the other wheel was fitted.

Re:

Yup. Just have a close look at what happens standing in front of the bike with the brake on with a spoke crossing near the caliper. Pull the bike towards you.

I have some Crossrides CL and BB7 calipers, 180mm disks its fag paper clearance.

I'll have a look tomorrow but like I say it doesn't twang when the wheel is turning just when I come to a complete stop and there's a bit weight on the wheel.

Latest posts

Back