Spoke gauge

tufty

Retro Guru
OK, quickie. Blew out a spoke nipple this morning, need to get a handful of new nipples. Prolly going to change the lot, but *embarassed* I don't know what gauge my spokes are.

How do I find out?

Digi calipers - can be had cheap on ebay

Aren't the nipples all same thread though? I know length can vary.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Most common are 14g, which is essentially 2.0mm.
Some flyweight stuff ("Marin Lite" wheelsets come to mind), were 1.8mm/ 15g. It's pretty obvious, one won't thread on the other.
LBS should be your friend for this sort of stuff.

rwm1962":3oms7qls said:
Digi calipers - can be had cheap on ebay
I have available...

Vernier calipers, accurate to 0.05mm. Shitty chinese digital calipers, register to 0.01mm, probably no more accurate than 0.1mm, I could probably borrow the mitutoyos from work, but I also have micrometers (hundredths and micron). While I'm at it, I've got a ruler :)

rwm1962":3oms7qls said:
Aren't the nipples all same thread though? I know length can vary.
No, they aren't, least not as far as I can tell. I ripped a random nipple from a dead wheel that was lying about, wrong thread, wouldn't go on. Kind of why I asked.

Sadly, all the LBS have put the bikes away and are full of bloody skis.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Aye - not sure why I though that! I know I was able to get gauge sorted ok with the cheap digi calipers

If it's remotely modern it'll either be 1.8 (racey lightweight spokes, you'd know if you have these), 2.0 (standard), 2.3 (tandem, some DH wheels, you won't have these).

A vernier is easily accurate enough for finding spoke size, i've even used a tape measure (with the spoke out of the wheel, might be a bit tricky to use a tape measure on a complete wheel.)

Yep, just measure. You have the tools.
measure nipple end, look for butting, so measure the middle of the spoke too.
You could also measure the hub end for a double check, it'll normally be the same as the nipple end. But not always.

I have 2.0 and 1.8mm spokes. Both plain gauge and double butted (and triple I think).

Have you got a metal rule too, so you can measure the spoke length...

Back