SPINERGY REV X FREEHUB REPLACEMENT (m750 shimano)

First option will cost very little only an old shimano eight speed hub to nick the freehub from and the cones from.....

not sure of the second one though :?

marin man":2qy01mtw said:
First option will cost very little only an old shimano eight speed hub to nick the freehub from and the cones from.....

not sure of the second one though :?

alright, i'm gonna go with this option.
Question:
I have a duraace 8 speed hub but I'd quite like to keep it intact. Is there any difference in performance with the freehub from a dura ace from from that of say.. ultegra or 105 8 speed?

thanks for all your help.

A dura ace freehub wont fit the spinergy anyway....a 105 will or an xt one will do...remember that the freehub will need to be a similar vintage to the wheel as the freehub does not have sealed bearings etc.....an ultegra from about 1996/2000 should fit.....anythin 8 or 9 speed and shimano will go on but not from xtr or dura ace..

marin man":2h77rqz5 said:
A dura ace freehub wont fit the spinergy anyway....a 105 will or an xt one will do...remember that the freehub will need to be a similar vintage to the wheel as the freehub does not have sealed bearings etc.....an ultegra from about 1996/2000 should fit.....anythin 8 or 9 speed and shimano will go on but not from xtr or dura ace..

Alright.. good to know. whats different from Ultegra to Dura Ace just out of interest?
I've got a lot of 8 speed Dura Ace stuff and I know its fairly incompatible with anything..

not to sure cause i aint a roadie...lol

I know the top end freehubs dont fit in the same way though....most can be removed with a ten mm allen key when the axle is removed but dont think the xtr and dura ace can be.. :?

marin man":3az2ebdi said:

I know the top end freehubs dont fit in the same way though....most can be removed with a ten mm allen key when the axle is removed but dont think the xtr and dura ace can be.. :?

Yeah.. you need a special tool to remove the Dura Ace freehub. Will a 9 speed freehub work with an 8 speed cassette?

spinergy freehub.

good work mm.

nice to see that the spinergy hub is shimano friendly! i think shimano do 2 types of fitment and , ritchey is differerent again. a couple of times i have robbed out a freehub body to realise it wont fit :oops:.

by the same token shimano m570LX will fit m750XT. if you need to reinstate that xt hub without messin' with the spinergy. m570 is good stuff too and, cheap-ish.

thanks mm.

angusross":1l5r1p4o said:
marin man":1l5r1p4o said:

Yeah.. you need a special tool to remove the Dura Ace freehub. Will a 9 speed freehub work with an 8 speed cassette?

yes should be fine but you may need a small spacer....if you use one you will find it fiddily to adjust the cones though as the cone will sit slightly inboard of the freehub...it can be done but a little tricky thats all ;)

cheers marc ;)

Scotty, I think it's super cool that you did this and decided to share the steps with everyone - after all, isn't the whole point of this site to use and re-use our old bits and bobs as much as we can? I don't see why it's any less safe this way, really, than it was to begin with - and honestly, I have NEVER seen these particular wheels blow up in real life (and I have thrashed two sets myself over the years). The six-spoke ones, on the other hand, were always rubbish... I have obliterated those myself. I amassed four spare wheels for the spokes until I realised it was just plain stupid and not worth it... they don't have a visible carbon weave anyways! :D I think I still may have a bit of a scar on my left calf from the aftermath! A little "dirt tattoo" left under the skin from the cut, if you will
:LOL:

Very resourceful, this particular franken-operation... keep it comin and enlighten us with your bodges, I say!

Back