Spengle MTB3 wheels

Boothy

Retro Guru
I've just picked up a set of these old beauties from fleabay, but there is a significant split in the breaking surface. Anyone own a set or have any experience of repairing these rims (or have a good idea for a bodge)? I'm not going to ride them hard but I'd like it to hold together on the tow paths! Any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 724
Sadly, it seems the wheels have seen so many miles, that pro-longed brake-rub friction from use (if they were on a rim-brake design machine) have over time worn the rim walls so thin, they are no longer structurally sound. The rim cracked because its been worn too thin.

I may be wrong, but me thinks that those wheels are done - trash bound.

I agree. I wouldn't be riding them

It looks like a normal rim somehow attached to a fancy carbon wheel. Some wheels built like this were bonded, some bolted (or so I recall seeing at some point in my Internet browsing). What's under the rim tape? Any clues on how they are held together?

If that damage wasn't disclosed in the listing then I'd think you'd be perfectly within your rights to get your money back so you can find a nicer set.

Re:

Cheers guys,

Yeah, the damage was listed but naively i thought it could be repaired.

The rims are riveted to the carbon by the look of it, and sadly Spengle now seem to be de-funked, so i don't hold much hope of finding replacement rims that fit perfectly.

I'm wondering if a patch could be welded / soldered over the split and then sanded down, but i fear the Carbon would melt.

Any other smart ideas appreciated.

Thanks again for the responses.

A

If the rim is riveted I'd be tempted to un-rivet it and see if it is a standard rim. How many rivets? You might just be able to get a standard replacement and pop it on (though keeping it straight when doing this would be a trick I think).

I'd not consider repairing the damage as I doubt it would be safe myself.

The only way of solid repair be to replace the rim. Welding is not advised.
It would not work even if the thermoplastics would stay intact. Untrue surface. And the rest of the rim would collapse soon.
I would try to do what ishaw wrote.

Back