Campagnolo wheels

wavydavygravy

Dirt Disciple
I have a couple of sets of Campag wheels - Neutron and Shamals - with worn out rims. The option of replacement seems either to not exist or be very expensive.
It seems a shame to skip the hubs, is there a rim alternative that would work to rebuild them?
Any advice appreciated.

Thanks for the reply. Here’s some photos

Attachments

• IMG_4855.jpeg
    IMG_4855.jpeg
    741.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4856.jpeg
    IMG_4856.jpeg
    750.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4857.jpeg
    IMG_4857.jpeg
    740.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4858.jpeg
    IMG_4858.jpeg
    761.5 KB · Views: 19
The Neutrons look to be 20/24h. That's easy enough, perhaps a Kinlin XR22T or XR26T up front and XR22RT or XR26RT (offset) out back. Find a rim that matches the ERD of the Neutrons to reuse the spokes if they are still good.

The Shamals are harder. They need that specific rim owing to the nipple & spoke detail.

The Neutrons look to be 20/24h. That's easy enough, perhaps a Kinlin XR22T or XR26T up front and XR22RT or XR26RT (offset) out back. Find a rim that matches the ERD of the Neutrons to reuse the spokes if they are still good.

The Shamals are harder. They need that specific rim owing to the nipple & spoke detail.
Thank you, very helpful. Shame about the Shamals as they're very light but if I can rescue the Neutrons I'll be very happy!

I think the neutron spokes are a special fit into the hubs, they are not a standard straight pull spoke? so you are limited to a rim with an ERD that will work with the same spokes, and also the same hole count. 24h for the rear is "standard", but 22 hole on the front is not a common hole count. Best option would be to find some replacement neutron rims, or do what I did and sell the wheels on while they are still useable and have some value. If the rims are no longer useable, then you could sell as replacement hubs and spokes if you can't find rims to get something back from them, then put that towards some new wheels. Replacement rims might not work to be the most economical option...

What foz said i'm afraid. Might be worth calling the distributor i-ride to see what spares they have. If it gets to much more than £300-400 i would cut your losses and get some handbuilt wheels. I have to admit a professional interest here, i work for a wheelbuilder called dcr wheels. I have owned both the wheelsets you are contemplating repairing and in my opinion you would be better off trying to sell them for spares and starting afresh with something built to suit your needs.

Back