Speeding up paint hardening?

hookooekoo

Senior Retro Guru
I've got a pair of headset cups I want to rub down and repaint. I don't want to wait weeks for the paint to get fully hard. Can I speed up the paint hardening by heating the headset cups? I know automotive repairers do it, but what about other paint types?

My paint choices at the moment are a pot of black Hammerite Smooth, and a pot of black Humbrol Enamel.

It's not the paint hardening that's the issue but getting it to stick to metal. 90% of it is in the prep work. You need to roughen the surface with sanding, thoroughly clean and degrease, then apply primer. Then you apply paint in thin even coats. 2K paint is what you want. Then clearcoat. No heat needed.

2k epoxy rattle can primer. It sticks to anything and dries fast. Then the top coat after a fine sanding. I used to let my frames dry overnight and then put them in my hot sauna. We sold the house with the sauna in 2000 so I now place the frames in my old truck in the sun. Paint doesn’t dry like it did 20 years ago and it really does take time to cure. I have some 1980s single stage automotive paint. It’s easy to apply and is tougher than anything the average Joe can buy now, as good as the new expensive two part water stuff. Dang environmentalists, they are screwing with my god given right to treat the environment like $#/t, making paint that costs more than the bicycle is worth and you need to go to school to learn to put it on. Being a petrol head I’ve come up with a plan, I’ll show those dang environmentalist a thing or two. I’m buying an electric Ford truck and putting a diesel generator in the truck bed to keep the batteries forever charged. The smokier and noisier the better. You don’t have to play their game if your brilliant like me.

With modern paint it really is a waiting game. The times on cans are laughable!

Maybe if you had a stove oven, 24 hours is fine, but in the real world 24 hours is hardly time for it to gas off, let alone harden. I leave most stuff 24h to dry, then 3 dsys in the airing cupboard prior to the next stage.

Rush it at your peril....if its not dry or hard, your going to either sand through de nibbing/ keying or you will get a reaction.

If its clear, i leave it a week before cutting back and polishing....you want it dry and hard!

A good, lasting, peel free finish is always worth the wait and doing it properly.

20220411_114940.jpg

Back