Specialized Future Shock users manual

rva

GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hi guys,

I have just received something that looks like a Future Shock.
No idea how many types were made from these, so we start from what we have here: it's gold :D

IMG_1506(2).JPG

now I have googled it, and found this eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/393077924875 to be the closest match

The top-cap seems to look like it's screwed into the stanchion tube, where mine is just pressed in and is retained by a circlip. Also, I'm missing all caps or whatever should have been there. Picture from the eBay ad: 1642001094513.png

So anybody has anything (preferably exploded view or service manual) in order to identify and service this fork?

I also got hands on a very-first gen steel S-Works FSR to go along with this fork, and I would like to put a working bike together.

Thanks

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Think that's a '91/'92 model if that helps your search for a manual. The step in the leg had gone by '93.
I've got a much worse set the same as yours, if you end up needing parts let me know!

That fork might pre-date the S-Works FSR, but no reason why it wouldn't work with it. My '94 S-Works FSR has the carbon legged Future Shocks.

Think that's a '91/'92 model if that helps your search for a manual. The step in the leg had gone by '93.
I've got a much worse set the same as yours, if you end up needing parts let me know!

That fork might pre-date the S-Works FSR, but no reason why it wouldn't work with it. My '94 S-Works FSR has the carbon legged Future Shocks.
I have this FSR:
1642002521504.png
so only a year after the "Stepcast" fork, I guess.

also, I would appreciate the spare parts, mainly whatever should have been there at the top cap
inside the fork might be a Mag 21 though

I have this FSR:
View attachment 595201
so only a year after the "Stepcast" fork, I guess.

also, I would appreciate the spare parts, mainly whatever should have been there at the top cap
inside the fork might be a Mag 21 though
Wow - can't be many of them about!
I'll take at look at my spare set tonight - be warned they are not pretty! 🤣
Where are you based?

Here are mine, sadly missing the adjusters completely. If there is anything you see here that you think would be of use to you please let me know, otherwise I really should throw these in the bin.
The brace looks like the one shown in the pic of the full bike - this is because I took it off a set of ‘93 forks which I also have - needing a service.
53C93CBF-5119-42E6-B3E7-88BC76F2F493.jpeg
2CFEF220-3BDC-4812-BB6D-55270ED091AC.jpeg
106727A4-6497-4CE5-A06A-542EF4EF794A.jpeg
1660AA9E-4EFD-48D1-8DA5-AE7245D36FFE.jpeg
33C9D8AB-57B2-474D-B033-77BD3787A713.jpeg
1DD1DF45-D50D-44FE-BE39-7B268DCA5712.jpeg
34670BF5-156D-47A5-9B1C-77A905856CA8.jpeg
F5A6430F-D3A2-4100-B126-CA4C1FE9F131.jpeg

It seems you have one of the top cap, which is one more than I have (also solves the mystery 'what should have been there') and based on that I could 3D print the other.
Also, I have only one brake stud and you have two from which I could also use one.
Is it a huge request from you to put those small parts in an envelope and send them my way?

It seems you have one of the top cap, which is one more than I have (also solves the mystery 'what should have been there') and based on that I could 3D print the other.
Also, I have only one brake stud and you have two from which I could also use one.
Is it a huge request from you to put those small parts in an envelope and send them my way?
Ah yes, I suppose these forks might not have had any adjusters, or there were versions available with/without them. All other sets I have do have adjusters, but they are '93/'94 models. I only bought this fork for the brace it had.
I'm happy to send the bits you need - please send me a conversation with delivery details etc 👍

Reactions: rva
In 1994, Spesh recalled these babies. Might want to check if yours are the type prone to separation at the crown
"
August 4, 1994
Release # 94-112
Washington, D.C. - CPSC, Specialized Bicycle Components Inc. of Morgan Hill, Calif., is voluntarily recalling about 12,500 "Future Shock" suspension forks (which connect the front wheel to the main frame of a mountain bike). The suspension forks were accessories and original equipment on the 1992 "Stumpjumper FS" model mountain bikes, and were sold with 1992 "S-Works M2" framesets. The forks were sold nationwide from September 1991 to November 1993.

Specialized has received at least 15 reports of accidents resulting in personal injuries, including three reported serious injuries, when the stanchion tubes (upper fork legs) separated from the fork crown while in use. The separation occurred due to insufficient tightening of the fork crown bolts and/or oil residue in the fork crown/stanchion tube joint.

The 1992 Future Shock suspension forks, made only for mountain bikes, were sold nationwide for about $315 each by authorized Specialized bicycle retailers, Specialized accessory dealers, and Bike Nashbar. Consumers can distinguish the 1992 suspension forks from later models because in later, non-recalled models, the stanchion tubes pass through the fork crown; in 1992 models they do not.

Consumers should immediately stop using bikes equipped with 1992 Future Shock suspension forks and bring the bikes to any authorized Specialized bicycle retailer for a free inspection and repair. Retailers will install safety caps, degrease the fork crown and stanchion tube joints, and correctly retighten the fork crown bolts. Additionally, consumers will receive an updated Owners' Manual.

For more information, call Reed Pike at Specialized Bicycle Components on (40:cool: 779-6229 ext. 2567 or (800) 214-1468."

I have one from after the recall, they are fantastic shocks, for the era. I have a Word file outlining the service instructions for Mag21 version, with pictures. If only I could figure out how to attach...

Even better, found the link I used to make it:

Last edited:
Reactions: rva
Back