Speaker wire

Optical is a disaster as it has big problems with clock recovery. A bit of coax doorbell is fine usually for digital.

Loads of HiFi so-called experts talk about digital cables improving the treble etc...

...how TF can they...it's 1 or 0. Any loss of data will affect the whole lot.

Cheap HDMI cables are bad and usually identify themselves by random sparkles on the screen.

Interesting point on optical vs coax.

Quite enjoy some of the stuff written by experts with their golden ears on how an expensive digital cable effects the sound also. Like you say its digital so it'll be good or bad.

Amusing thing cables, and even more amusing is forum members and their opinions on cables.

I think for speaker cable it depends on what you have and where it's going. Personally don't think you can go far wrong with the likes of Van Damme Studio Grade of reasonable thickness.

As for digital cable, well sadly there is a lot of foo out there, but even more ignorance and miss-information on audio forums, where many are completely brainwashed into believing there is some massive global conspiracy to con the general public.

Having worked in the hifi industry for some while...

Speaker cables: Its all tosh - just use what you think looks nice in the living room. DONT use flat cable.

Phono cables: these can suffer radio frequency interference through bad connectors/ insulating material - so just buy well insulated cable and keep it short. Nice plugs look good.

Digital cable: Digital equipment suffers from 'digital artifacts' during processing - this does effect the sound a great deal so dont waste money on expensive cabling - buy decent gear!

Magazines: Dont believe a word in the hifi mags - they just want advertising revenue.

Manufacturers: Half the stuff from a certain manufacturer made in China had to be rebuilt once it got to the UK becuase of safety reasons! So buy decent gear - loads of decent S/H stuff out there.

An educated opinion from working for some well known hifi brands and also from selling the stuff.

legrandefromage":go5qktht said:
DONT GO TO http://www.avforums.com and ask the same question! :shock: :shock:

:LOL: :LOL:
Too true.

Best I fire up my Tag gear with the cheapo speaker cable and home made phone leads when I get home now ;)
Will have what hifi spitting blood for sure.

Strange combo, retro bikes and quality hifi gear. There are many on here with some very nice stuff.

gump":1w2ezrnn said:
legrandefromage":1w2ezrnn said:
DONT GO TO http://www.avforums.com and ask the same question! :shock: :shock:

:LOL: :LOL:
Too true.

Best I fire up my Tag gear with the cheapo speaker cable and home made phone leads when I get home now ;)
Will have what hifi spitting blood for sure.

Strange combo, retro bikes and quality hifi gear. There are many on here with some very nice stuff.

I used to work fro TAG McLaren Audio - learnt a lot whilst there.

gump":3oolbuan said:

Like my retro bike stuff, it's all sitting in boxes waiting for me to find more room :)

I've got a audiolab and mission set up still looking for a system deck II but that will always be unattainable now.

CaptainF

since my surround sound system was dismantled to protect my twins from 15kg speakers landing on their heads, I have a bag of fairly decent speaker cable.

Based on what has been said, it should meet requirements (particularly the 'cheap' one!).

Yours if you want it. Zap me a PM with the lengths you need and I will see what I can do. You just pay the postage it says on the parcel when it turns up.

Back