Some folks will do ANYTHING to add "value" to a bike for sale (e-stay content)

No I think this guy has a little more info than what I found on Wikipedia.​

Copied from site.

Derby[edit]​

From 1989 through 2001, Derby International marketed bikes in the United States under the Nishiki as well as Univega and Raleigh brand names. Some of the all terain bikes and mountain bike models were designed in partnership with famed mountain bike designer and Mountain Bike Hall of Fame member R. Cunningham and have his name on the frames. These Nishiki models, though manufactured outside Japan (e.g., in Taiwan, by Giant Bicycles and possibly in Italy by Colnago, Olmo or Viner) often carried the name Nashiki and some of the same model names as had been used on the Kuwahara-built bicycles.[7]The brand name Nishiki was retired by Derby in 2001 in North America.[8] As of 2010, Nishiki-branded bicycles, manufactured by Accell Group were available for sale again in the U.S. at Dick's Sporting Goods. Dick's had obtained licensing rights to the Nishiki Bike brand in the U.S.

Currently (2013), Nishiki Europe, an unrelated group of European distributors markets bicycle models in Denmark, Finland, and Sweden. Nishiki bikes had previously been also marketed in Norway, Belgium, Germany, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, and Estonia.

MODELS[EDIT]​

• Apache
  • Aero, Aero II
  • Alamosa
  • Alouette
  • Alien
  • Anasazi
  • Ariel
  • Arrow Speed
  • Arroyo
  • Barbarian
  • Backroads
  • Blazer
  • Bombardier
  • Bushwhaker
  • Carrera
  • Cascade
  • Century
  • Cervino (possibly uncataloged)
  • Citi Sport
  • Colorado
  • Comp, Comp II and Comp III
  • Competition
  • Continental
  • Custom Sport
  • Cresta
  • Crossroads
  • Expedition (made in Taiwan)
  • Gran Sport
  • Gran Tour 15 (probable precursor to Ultra Tour 1:cool:
  • International (earlier named Kokusai)
  • Katmandu
  • Kodiak
  • Kokushi (later renamed International)
  • Landau
  • Linear
  • Maricopa
  • Manitoba
  • Marina
  • Maxima (possibly uncataloged, frame only)
  • Medalist
  • Meridian
  • Modulus
  • Mountain
  • NFS Alpha
  • NFS Beta
  • NFS Altron
  • Odyssey
  • Olympiad (American Eagle)
  • Olympic, Olympic Royal
  • Prestige
  • Professional
  • Pueblo
  • Race Master
  • Rally
  • Regal
  • Riviera
  • Road Compe
  • Road Master
  • Rockhound
  • Royale
  • Safari
  • Saga (Cunningham Design drop bar ATB)
  • Sebring
  • Seral
  • Semi-Pro (American Eagle)
  • Sport, Custom Sport
  • sTORM
  • Stony Point (mountain bike)
  • Super-five
  • Superbe
  • Team Issue
  • Timbuk
  • Tri-A
  • Triathlon
  • Trim Master
  • Ultimate
  • Ultima (possibly uncatalogued)
  • Ultra Tour (uncatalogued, possibly specified by one store in Southern California, USA)
  • Ultra Tour 18 (probable successor to Gran Tour 15)
  • Westwood

SERIAL NUMBERS[EDIT]​

Serial Numbers for Nishiki bikes were decoded by Tom Marshall, Canadian engineer, racer and runner, using a trial and error database methodology.

Kawamura manufactured frames (1972–1987):These frames used a serial number XYZZZZZformat where:

• X is the market (C = Canada (pre-1985) K = USA (pre 1985) W = USA (1985–1987)).
  • Y is the last digit of the manufacturing calendar year (A =1, B = 2, C = 3… J = 0. Exception is letter S, used on all frames prior to 1975).
  • ZZZZZ is a five or six digit number, possibly representing a sequential frame manufacturing number for the year (or era in the case of pre 1975 frames).
Example 1: KA24587 is the 24,587th frame produced in 1981 for the US marketExample 2: CG23117 is the 23,117th frame produced in 1977 for the Canadian marketExample 3: WE54612 is the 54,612th frame produced in 1985 for the US market

Actually, I think it is a Raleigh USA bike

If you take this bicycle as an example, in the UK it was sold as an Emmelle; a very low end barely thought of brand, yet the frame was manufactured by Ross in the USA and its built from good quality Tange triple butted tubing.

If it wasnt for a bit of internetting by @retrobikeguy , it would have stayed as an oddity, now it has a true identity and its a good one

1644512010444.png

No I think this guy has a little more info than what I found on Wikipedia.​

I'm sorry, I'm missing what information there is there that hasn't just been taken (infringing copyright, I imagine) from Wikipedia.

The frame number part is interesting, but doesn't provide an exact match for the format.

Back