So is it 26 or 27.5"

Let us know how you get on with the shockwiz.
I keep looking at rental, but with 7 or 8 air shocks between the bikes, €50 for the weekend isn't going to go far. So i *might* just buy one.

Duxuk":1i3jg7j9 said:
This week I've ridden a technical, undulating section on both new (Boardman FS Pro, 650b) and old (Whyte JW4, 26"). I cleared it both ways on the Boardman but failed both ways on the Whyte. The Whyte seems to jar on the rough bits where the Boardman skips over. It's down to the individual trail section, though, because I know other places where the opposite is true. I certainly know circuits where my money would be on the Whyte to get round quickest. 7 years ago, when I gave up on my first JW4, I found it's replacement, a Voodoo Canzo 26er, was around 15 seconds slower on a 10 minute red trial which forms a circuit.
It's horses for courses but slightly worrying that 15 years hasn't produced a bike which is faster in all situations. And don't get me onto pedal strikes with modern trail bikes. :evil: The BBs are just too low and shortening the cranks robs you of torque when you need it. :cry: Better post this before my blood starts to boil!

If you really want to confuse things, you can just about squeeze 650b’s onto the whyte...

Attachments

• 36607F8F-43CE-4150-A2D0-CE8CE2FEFA0E.jpeg
    36607F8F-43CE-4150-A2D0-CE8CE2FEFA0E.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 561
Re:

I've been looking into.a 27.5 frame after buying what was supposed to be one, but turned out to be 26. Since then been trying to find a replacement as I'd bought wheels, forks, tyres etc for the build.

I've dipped in and out of this thread so maybe it's been covered, but some articles and opinions on other forums about 27.5 and 27.5+ seem to suggest that 27.5 isn't much more than marketing bs, and no real improvement at all on 26. 29er seems to get a thumbs up though.

I'm still looking for a 27.5 frame to try, as you can't believe everything you read, so will keep looking for one, and keep an eye on this thread.

Unless of course there is conclusive evidence that 27.5 isn't worth it, and having a 26 and 29er in the stable is all a grown man needs.

27.5" is actually only an inch bigger than 26" in diameter of a full tyre, therefore only 0.5" in radius! But of course they don't tell you that but instead they say it's a middle ground between 26" and 29". Therefore yeah - purely marketing BS in my opinion.

29" is the one to go for if you want to feel a significant difference.

26er-650b-29er.gif

Re:

Sounds like I should cut my losses on the 27.5 and build up the 26 inch Kona Kula scandium I acquired with the crossmax SLR then, rather than keep plugging away at a 27.5. Some higher volume tyres and I could be hitting 27.5 territory.

I've also still havering :? While getting the shopping there was a 29er kona parked up. Big wheels indeed. But for me 29 on an xl frames going to be bloody gigantic :shock:

dyna-ti":3uoqfau0 said:
I've also still havering :? While getting the shopping there was a 29er kona parked up. Big wheels indeed. But for me 29 on an xl frames going to be bloody gigantic :shock:
I think an XL frame with 29er wheels will look normal and less like a gate ;)

Couple more in xl. I think smaller 29ers look as out of proportion as larger 26ers. Big bikes for big guys.

Back