WALL MOUNT MTB STORAGE/HANGER/CARRIER/BRACKET (Nice One!)

Mental...how can she put up with that? :shock:

Bracket looks good, gonna get me two on the way home, nice find :)

I hope your rawl plugs are long enough to go into the brick and not just the plaster or worse, plaster board coz you are gonna get one hell of a shock one day when that falls on yer bonce when you are watvhing BNig Brother.

a rawl bolt yesterday.
product1.jpg

Wall Plugs

Wall Plugs, it came with:

~ 10mm wall plugs (Adequate enough)
~ 2 self tapping screws (Approx 6mm diameter)

I replaced the self tapping screws with COACH SCREWS so I can get the torque without rounding the head of the screws.

PHOTO of COACH SCREW (Sold by ScrewFix Direct)
coach%20screws.jpg

My wall is as most rooms, brickwork then plastered over.

However the top wall plug was seated in just cement (Between two bricks). How could I tell, you may ask, because it was far too easy to drill with the correct masonery drill bit, and the dust wasn't red (Brick dust is red), it was beige and dark, so just from cement.

So I drilled the mtb bracket top plate with another hole (Metal drill bit 6mm approx, the coach screw head is larger then 6mm) below the original hole, and drilled another 10mm diameter hole in the wall, fitted a 10mm wall plug, and secured that in with another 6mm coach screw.

So to conclude 3x 6mm diameter coach screws, with 3x 10mm wall plugs, holding the MTB bracket in place.

Rawl Plugs are rubbish

02gf74":1hn6wiz6 said:
I hope your rawl plugs are long enough to go into the brick and not just the plaster or worse, plaster board coz you are gonna get one hell of a shock one day when that falls on yer bonce when you are watvhing BNig Brother.

a rawl bolt yesterday.
product1.jpg

I don't rate Rawl BOLTS, I would go to great lengths to say they are complete rubbish, they can't hold in place (i.e. they can't hold their place underweight), and also IF the bolt doesn't align perfectly with the Rawl BOLTS, it won't thread in at an angle. Rawl BOLTS, are more ackward to fit, more expensive, and are less effective.

I guess this is because a Rawl BOLT can't expand to fill the drilled hole as well as a conventional wall plug can fill the drilled hole to make a tight fit, so that the 10mm conventional wall plugs can hold substantial weight.

Rawl BOLTS are just a gimmick alternative, that is far more expensive. And besides they looklike an aheadset star washer or car turbo diesel glow plug, that you've battered into a wall.

Normal wall (Rawl) plugs are cheaper and more effective.
264187_232664773423579_100000401736733_753506_2544361_n.jpg

Rawl BOLTS and copper water pipe fixtures (15mm or 22mm) are about the only bad products that B&Q or ScrewFix Direct sell.

Just buy normal plastic Rawl wall plugs, they're cheap and effective.

Re: Rawl Plugs are rubbish

srands":1mb8b7ua said:
Rawl Plugs and copper water pipe fixtures (15mm or 22mm) are about the only bad products that B&Q or ScrewFix Direct sell.

Just buy normal plastic wall plugs, they're cheap and effective.

Plastic wall plugs? - that'll be what are (generically) known as Rawlplugs then.. :roll:

I think that you're confusing Rawlplugs and Rawlbolt fixings, yessir ;)

Rawl Plugs (Good) & Rawl Bolts (Bad)

Well in other words:

Rawl PLUGS (Good) Plastic type
264187_232664773423579_100000401736733_753506_2544361_n.jpg

Rawl BOLTS (Bad) Metal type
product1.jpg

Re: Rawl Plugs are rubbish

srands":21xs15xc said:
I guess this is because a Rawl BOLT can't expand to fill the drilled hole as well as a conventional wall plug can fill the drilled hole to make a tight fit, so that the 10mm conventional wall plugs can hold substantial weight.

I have to disagree with you on that point. A rawl bolt if fitted into the correct size hole will be stronger than a plasticy rawl plug.

I'll wager that a rawl bolt is capable of splitting a brick if done up tight whereas a plastic plug will not, the plastic will deform, not so the steel.

anyways, that is neither here nor there, the fact that you have secured the bracket is the importnat bit.

Back