Ride Report - 1989 Doug Bradbury Manitou

mkozaczek

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Cross post from SSC : http://www.secondspincycles.com/2014/08 ... eview.html

I've owned this DBM for almost two years now and it's seem some solid trail duty. However, I never took the time to take any decent photos on the trail or really get into the ride characteristics. As I go through and formulate my collection strategy this bike continually serves as a benchmark for all new comers and has secured a permanent place on my ride rack.

DSC_2080.jpg

First Impressions - Et tu Brute?

When you ride this bike you care a bit less about your line, a bit less about rocks flying up, a bit less about going over that bigger rock or drop. You just know this bike can take it and won't miss a beat. It's just more of a bruiser. That being said it's not as light, it doesn't quite help you feel like you're in command of something special and unique. It's more utilitarian in nature and you get that feeling when you ride it. It's like a little bit of that spring in your step was taken out and replaced with a steel toe which you use to crush any obstacles in your way rather than flying over them.

Takeaway - If this bike was a dog it would be a German Shepherd; skilled, tough but and very capable... looks better wet and dirty after long day's work than cleaned up and inside next to the fire.

DSC_2083.jpg

Ride characteristics - All mountain, all the time

The thing everyone asks me about this bike is "How is it compared to a Klein?" Before I answer that I'd like to point out that this design is over 2 years older than any comparable Klein (thinking 90 Attitude here) and so any comparison is somewhat flawed. However, with that in mind I'd say it's like comparing a wood saw with a scalpel. Both cut just fine, but one is, well... less sophisticated. I think of Kleins as precision instruments that need to be treated with care, and if you do that they'll do exactly what you ask of them. The DBM is much more like a saw, your cut may not be as precise and you may make a mess, but you'll get it done and it requires a lot less thought and care. To put this in laymen's terms I feel that although I would not call this bike forgiving, it can take a hit if you lose focus and not throw you too far off course. You don't have to be as choosy with your line as you might on a Klein where every unintended impact is like a shot to your spine. It's also quite a bit heavier than a Klein. My average weight for an Attitude is around 23-24 lbs and the DBM weighs in a around 25.4 lbs. Some of that is no doubt due to the steel fork, but I also think Doug's bike were made of thicker gauge, straight wall 6061 as opposed to the double butted tubes used on Kleins. The weight is not a big deal, it's still a light bike in comparison to most bikes from that era. The last thing about this bike is the appearance. It has this Aerospace look to it, chunky welds, extra gussets, bars, box sections, sharp angles, etc. It has a definite look of purpose about it, as if no extra time was taken to make it look good because who needs that on the trail.

Does it climb well?? Yeah, it climbs well. I feel like I'm in better shape when on a Klein, but there is virtually no flex in this frame under heavy climbing loads and great out of the saddle traction coming out of stream beds or during short, uphill sprints.

Does it descend well?? Yeah, it's great when you point it down. I'm not sure whether any of the front end stiffness can be attributed to the 115mm front hub? But either that or the combination of the hub and straight blade 4130 fork along with the relatively steep 71/72 degree headtube angle give the bike great poise and very sharp and precise steering feel. It responds great to weight placement to increase front wheel traction (reduce push / understeer) or to improve handling in tight sections. In this specific case I should be riding a frame one size bigger, so the weight distribution effects might be slightly exaggerated.

DSC_2084.jpg

This is the fork that every Switchblade, IRD or Bontrager fork wish they could be. It doesn't chatter, doesn't flex under braking, doesn't wonder, it's awesome! There is nothing more to be said about it. Oh wait, yeah there is... it looks really cool!

DSC_2086.jpg

DSC_2088.jpg

Verdict - Keeper and I want more!

I love this bike. I urger everyone who ever gets a chance to throw a leg over one to do so immediately. It not the lightest out there, at 25 and change lbs it's got a few pounds over an ARC or Adroit, but then again it's a few years older. But it's a bike I keep coming back to and it's always ready to hit the trail!!

To put it another way it's a bike I make sure always has air in the tires because I'm likely to pull it off the rack for a ride on any given day!

Re:

MBA dream bike right there for me. Can't beat reading a MBA review with black and white photos followed by hours spec'ing and re-spec'ing up my ideal bike...

mkozaczek":3bugzfdp said:
Verdict - Keeper and I want more!

Have to agree, they are lovely bikes (although I did sell mine...)

Does this mean that DBM now stands for DB Martin?

Re:

That is a thing of beauty, and the images took me right back to my youth.
I'd swear that I was drooling over one exactly the same colour, owned by the proprietor of Sugarcity Cycles in Bury St Edmunds in the very early 90's, I think he may even have had some of the very first Manitou suspension forks in the same light blue colour, and that would have been 90/91?.

Anyway thanks for the memories! :D , tis a lovely bike. Matt

Back