Singlespeed chain tension...

i'm quite confident that my definition of 'fairly loose' will not derail in the roughest of terrain...then again, it sounds like were not so different in our preferences.

'1/2" of slack' is about right for me, which means 1/2" of total vertical deflection...1/4" of sag, measured at the tightest point in the drivetrain revolution.

I agree with Andy R,from experiance I would say as tight as you can without it feeling like its binding.Your chain coming off downhil is a real pain,and I've had it happen with a perfect chainline and ss specific sprocket,chain,chainring but too much slack,your chain coming off uphill,ouch!

MJN":11naifww said:
I agree with Andy R,from experiance I would say as tight as you can without it feeling like its binding.Your chain coming off downhil is a real pain,and I've had it happen with a perfect chainline and ss specific sprocket,chain,chainring but too much slack,your chain coming off uphill,ouch!

Yeah - too right !! :cry:
If you are taking the time to adjust the chain tension it's as easy to adjust it to have no "slack" as to have, say, 1/4" of sag. Obviously even an optimally adjusted chain can be deflected at its mid-point by applying finger pressure (as can a toothed belt) but I don't think that it's a good idea to allow it to sag under gravity at all - by my thinking that's too loose.

AndyR, it sounds like you might've been blessed with a greater degree of drivetrain concentricity than many. Tight spots in a chain are pretty common, and can be a nightmare to get out, often necessitating the chain be pretty loose at its loosest point.

thecannibal":12syk8zy said:
AndyR, it sounds like you might've been blessed with a greater degree of drivetrain concentricity than many. Tight spots in a chain are pretty common, and can be a nightmare to get out, often necessitating the chain be pretty loose at its loosest point.

True - maybe I have been lucky :cool: . I have improved things by re-centering the chain ring (nip the bolts, find the tight spot and give it a tap backwards - repeat until you find the best result, then finally tighten).

This only works if you have a little play between the ring and the spider, though a few thou. movement makes a big difference.
I would add that decent machined chainrings and sprockets are better as far as concentricity goes than cheap stamped ones.

Back