Show us your home made work benches...!

Chipboard isnt great, its a habit of slowly crumbling away. And putting screws into it also have a habbit of pulling out or not being able to use the same hole time nad again mounting stuff the the bench.

Old fire doors, or the council type that are just strip laminates. Those are 2" thick solid timber :cool:
Plus with solid, as the top becomes damaged, stained or covered with paint, glue and the like, you can belt sand the whole thing clean.

:oops:

Mine here is 44mm thick top made from standard cheapo pine, with the front overhang(need an overhang to get clamps and the like onto) of 8" being another 44mm plank screwed on to thicken it and add a bit of support and less bounce, when bashing into things with hammers and the like.
So you could add a flat plank or some strips of 18mm mfd glued together and placed under :?

TBH I'd never had the time to construct a proper bench. I'd love to spend some time making one, given the big cabinetmakers benches can be £2000 to buy.

Front view and camera turned around to the rest of the pigsty :LOL:

Some rather tasty work stations out there :cool: well planned and executed. Google.

Attachments

• DSCF1779 (Custom).JPG
    DSCF1779 (Custom).JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 462
  • DSCF1778 (Custom).JPG
    DSCF1778 (Custom).JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 462
Re: Re:

schwartzy16":3d0qjn5b said:
Not the clearest picture, 4 x 4 douglas fir for the frame and 2" ash top. The drawers are full of parts. Have a matching smaller bench and a matching home made parts washer.

That's the benchmark right there :p

But seriously, that's kind of what I had in mind, and i would love a bit that can be wheeled out onto the drive for those sunny days and dusty jobs :)

I'm only keen on using the kitchen surface as it is free. I won't be screwing into it, bolts right the way through I reckon is the way forward.

Re: Re:

schwartzy16":2tb6xbe8 said:
Not the clearest picture, 4 x 4 douglas fir for the frame and 2" ash top. The drawers are full of parts. Have a matching smaller bench and a matching home made parts washer.

That's the benchmark right there :p

But seriously, that's kind of what I had in mind, and i would love a bit that can be wheeled out onto the drive for those sunny days and dusty jobs :)

I'm only keen on using the kitchen surface as it is free. I won't be screwing into it, bolts right the way through I reckon is the way forward.

Re:

So here's my bench what I done build. Seems piddly compared to some of these impressive erections. Size was dictated by the timber I had available and minimising waste from what I had to buy, plus I don't have unlimited space (too many bikes). But it's a tidy job if I do say so myself. Not even got as far as moving the vice on yet but powered up this weekend which is a step in the right direction.

Attachments

• tmp_1309-2016-10-16 20.21.52915149417.jpg
    tmp_1309-2016-10-16 20.21.52915149417.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 452
Re:

I have 2
1 wooden made from heavy gauge ply and 2 1/2 inch thick cedar, used for wood work related jobs.
The other is stainless steel sheet and box section, my metal work and bike bench.
Both are covered in assorted stuff, between them and the door is my anvil.
I'm not looking forward to packing it all up for my move..

highlandsflyer":3dyhco3s said:
Check out skips outside kitchen showrooms and you will see goodies.
This good for other things too, off cuts of industrial carpeting, plastics, perspex and the like, just make sure you ask them which is usually ok as if makes more skip room.

For a while just prior to A. Gardeners & son Cabinetmaker shutting its doors, I got limited access to their factory scrap. They were one of the top makers in Glasgow since 1803. I came away with a lot of mahogany veneer and what a company like that considers as scrap ie even a tiny knot or other defect renders it unusable for them but still best quality cherry. I made two lovely salon tables out it. I also and still have an oak roll top that was in a bin due to a small grease spot. Which i bled out successfully.

Careful these days because the police are in full on fine you for anything mode and its a freebie for them if you recycle without the skip users permission.

dyna-ti":1xbjyait said:
highlandsflyer":1xbjyait said:
Check out skips outside kitchen showrooms and you will see goodies.
This good for other things too, off cuts of industrial carpeting, plastics, perspex and the like, just make sure you ask them which is usually ok as if makes more skip room.

For a while just prior to A. Gardeners & son Cabinetmaker shutting its doors, I got limited access to their factory scrap. They were one of the top makers in Glasgow since 1803. I came away with a lot of mahogany veneer and what a company like that considers as scrap ie even a tiny knot or other defect renders it unusable for them but still best quality cherry. I made two lovely salon tables out it. I also and still have an oak roll top that was in a bin due to a small grease spot. Which i bled out successfully.

Careful these days because the police are in full on fine you for anything mode and its a freebie for them if you recycle without the skip users permission.

Lovely!
Knotted mahogany looks great whhen polished mate! As does cherry. No birds eye maple going there? Lol

Mike

Back