Show us what you did today, thread

Day off yesterday, so after dropping the wee man at nursery it was a quick trip back to the house to pack the bike in the back of the car and off to Dunkeld.
Been thinking about an alternative Bawbags route for an autumn meet and wanted to do some exploring. Turns out, I almost wish I hadn't.

Generally we go up to Loch Ordie then take the right fork at the end of the loch and loop clockwise round Deuchary hill. Looking at the maps the left fork heads north up to Lochan Oisinneach Mor and Lochan Oisinneach, loops round Capel Hill and come back to the start of Loch Ordie. Despite showing 100% battery when I packed, my garmin died after 2 mile, leaving me with the back up map on my phone. Map shows a mix of doubletrack and footpath but as OS veterans know, on Scottish maps most of the lines are a wild guess and can be anything from a motorway estate road to a track a rabbit went down once 100 years ago! Path started nicely enough, lovely and scenic, but soon started to get a bit wetter. It then deteriorated into boggy sections and soon just a plain bog. After a mile or so it improved and I can to a gate. Just as I got through a gate I met a couple coming the other way, who said the path was really boggy higher up and unrideable, although they'd just walked around the edges. They also told me that the gate at the far end was locked but I'd be able to carry the bike over. I pointed out to them that's easier said than done with a 25kg e-bike! On the map the was another path which cut round the back of Capel hill and would miss this boggy section and the top part of the loop, so I continued anyway. Big mistake. The path got worse as I'd been told and even with motor assistance turned up, I was off and squelching. The weird thing was the sections in between were bone dry, almost dusty then all of a sudden you'd have 20-30m of sheer bog. Predictable, when I came to the right area for the turn off, I could not see a track. Maybe if the garmin had been working I'd have found it, but from the looks of the terrain, the ground was even wetter than the path I was on. At least the main path was visible if not very pleasant. I'd not been the only one to attempt it by bike as they were recent Ritchey Z Max tyre prints, very retro! As I neared the top Lochan the track improved from boggy to just plain wet, but at least the ground underneath was a bit firmer. Thankfully the locked gate was just a standard gate and not a deer fence, so a good heft and the bike was over. Disappointingly the track around the Lochan got boggy again, but once on the anti-clockwise track to the north of it, things turned firmer again, wet but still rideable. As this track went on it entered sheep country and improved into a nicer landrover track and thankfully easier to ride. I was able to start to enjoy it again and started to find reassuring path markers for the Atholl estate. When I got nearer to Loch Ordie I had plenty of battery left and decided to take a path heading towards Guay. A fantastic decent followed and then a climb back up to the house with the bark dogs that you pass on the way out. From there it was just the reverse of the outward loop and an easy scoot back to the car.
Took 4 hours altogether including a bit of back tracking when I went the wrong way after Ordie on the way out, but this was with only a couple of stops and electric assistance.
Still a possible summer Bawbag route, but only after a good dry spell. No way a Baltic Bawbag route.

Here's some photos in no particular order.

Untitled by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

Re:

Surely by Baltic Bawbags time the ground will be frozen, and thus rideable over the boggy sections? Unless the increased mass breaks through the ice into the chilly perma-sludge below :LOL:

(the mass of the ebike, not you Clubby ;)).

Re:

Oh well, it made for nice photos anyway! Not a fan of bogs myself it has to be said. How were the midges?

Nice ride Clubby.

eBike and bog, that would be an interesting find for archeologists in a 1,000 years time. :)

Every ride I do I'm grateful Scotland is so beautiful and love the way the same ride is different scenery depending on the season of the year.

epicyclo":8qexzdqe said:
Nice ride Clubby

Every ride I do I'm grateful Scotland is so beautiful and love the way the same ride is different scenery depending on the season of the year.

Amen to that!
Travelled and stayed in many places around the world but always thankful I live in Scotland.
No road, trail, Loch or mountain ever the same twice.

Jamie

epicyclo":3trmo3uq said:
eBike and bog, that would be an interesting find for archeologists in a 1,000 years time. :)

It actually kept going through an amazing amount of stuff as the power is kept on quite smoothly in the low power modes, rather than big pushes on the pedals.
Once it’s stuck though it takes some hefting out.

Jim’s right though, would be amazing if frozen solid.

Re:

Out early-ish on the old drop-bar Mtb this morning to try out a route I'd seen on someone else's Strava feed.
First challenge was negotiating sleepy walkers, or those with headphones in, along the old Deeside Railway line shared use path, but having fitted a pretty loud electric "Bell" I was confident I'd have no problems... I was wrong :LOL: the headphone wearers still don't hear it, and I found that the electric bell tone sounded like high pitched bird call to some people, so they simply stood in the middle of the path looking up at the trees! :LOL: so I changed to tone to more of a "Beep" and had better success with that.
It must have been several months since I "favourited " the route on Strava, as the vegetation had overgrown some of the paths, if I didn't have the Garmin to help guide me I might never have thought there Was a path in some places! It made for tough going in places, but it's always nice finding new trails fairly nearby.
Rode past Drum Castle, which I'd not seen before, and even found some actual "Gravel"!! at one point, the rest was single-track through woods, and country lanes /tracks.
The ride took longer than expected due to the confusion/walking/beating a path sections, but the bike coped fine, the rider however is in need of a medicinal beer this evening I think :mrgreen:

Attachments

• IMG_20200905_111812_copy_1560x2080.jpg
    IMG_20200905_111812_copy_1560x2080.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 428
  • IMG_20200905_105428_copy_1560x2080.jpg
    IMG_20200905_105428_copy_1560x2080.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 428
  • IMG_20200905_104256_copy_2080x1560.jpg
    IMG_20200905_104256_copy_2080x1560.jpg
    642.2 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_20200905_101033_copy_1560x2080.jpg
    IMG_20200905_101033_copy_1560x2080.jpg
    761.4 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_20200905_100939_copy_1560x2080.jpg
    IMG_20200905_100939_copy_1560x2080.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 428
Re:

Love that last photo Jim. Looks like a good Macretro one once the ferns die back a bit.

Finished making a Mavic bb tool 670, also works for the hub bearings too.

Attachments

• 20200905_180013_copy_1280x1002.jpg
    20200905_180013_copy_1280x1002.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 421
  • 20200905_175955_copy_1280x1197.jpg
    20200905_175955_copy_1280x1197.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 421
Back