Show us what you did today, thread

Jamiedyer":3c651qbd said:
...I wouldn't be dissing the Jack Taylors or nice road bikes either, as the Jack Taylor, Mercian and Long Haul Trucker are frequently coerced onto the tracks and they rarely complain, and even when they do they still ride them ...
Just envy, mate. The Rough Stuff boys used to give those lightweights far harsher treatment than anything we'd do these days.

As for the Long Haul Trucker, it's probably the perfect Rough Stuff bike, an under-appreciated allrounder. Surly were way ahead of the market with that one. :)

I was fair knackered after that ride. Already thinking of paying the gorse a visit with a brush hook and bush saw - that track has potential and would save a big climb.

Now about that rope... :)

Re:

Well if lockdown is over soon then maybe it’s a trip for the Big Dummy loaded with gardening trail tools ;)
Wet and misty up here today.

Jamie

Almost finished the id5, just need To swap a front hub over on my front wheel and get it back on. I’m shocked how fast uphill this thing is, maybe cause I’m not into 3.0 Gaza’s anymore :LOL:

Attachments

• 11BCFED7-8DBD-4C5F-89F4-7C37AB68E4D9.jpeg
    11BCFED7-8DBD-4C5F-89F4-7C37AB68E4D9.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 1,162
Decided to sort out this lovely Dura Ace rear hub. It's a first gen so 1974 5 speed hub.
I wanted to build this set up for the Jack Taylor Sport on some 27'' rims. The problem with it has been that the previous owner had replaced the axle, which originally would have been a quick release and put in a solid axle. I hadn't really paid any notice to it, until I tried it on the old Jack Taylor and found yes it's a 120mm hub but the solid axle is cut the same width as a QR which means that it doesn't come out past the dropouts in the frame meaning you cant put a nut on either end :shock: So such a nice and rare old hubset meant a complete refurb and luckily the local bikeshop had a new old Shimano axle in the right diameter that just needed cut down to the exact size. I had called in and asked about it earlier in the week, and so had a nice ride into town for it today. So an hour or so after getting home job done. With the new axle, bearings and grease fitted, the original races and cones were spotless and far better quality than those on the new one so they went straight back on. The drive side of the old one had the alloy spacer seized to the axle so that took a bit to get off as it had also seized the outside nut to it and the axle. Just took a bit of fine cleaning, WD and persuasion to sort.
You can see in the photos the state of the end of the axle it came with so at least I have made it usable again. I really like these high flange hubs for touring and these early Dura Ace are so durable and smooth that for the £8.50 for axle and 18 bearings I now have a great set of hubs for the Jack Taylor when I do get round to building it. It's about the only thing I have a use for these 120mm hubs.
I did have an excellent ride to town and then home the long way to get this stuff but that's for later :)
Hope you all had a lovely Solstice.

Jamie

IMG_3099 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Old
IMG_3101 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3148 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

New
IMG_3152 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3151 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

As per my previous post I had to go into Thurso yesterday to pick up my axle and bearings for the new hubs so the Jack Taylor was pulled out, tyres checked and trunk bag attached, ready to go. This bike is certainly rivalling my Trucker as the go to machine as it is such a joy to ride. I am certain that it is due to this that I am lacking in motivation to finish my Mercian rebuild. I seem more than content to potter about home rebuilding hubs and wheels etc but just can't be bothered building something else similar to ride. Not at the moment anyway.
Weather was iffy when I left home so packed a long sleeve jersey as well as my rain jacket in the trunk bag just in case. Thankfully didn't need either as once I left town and headed south to do a longer loop home the weather brightened really nicely to the point I was thinking I should maybe have worn my shorts.
Once loaded up with my axle and bearings from the shop I did a quick loop of town and ended up down at the harbour with a quick photo looking over to Dunnet Head and Hoy.
I ended up heading south east out of town on the small singletrack roads and basically doing a big loop inland before coming back down onto the coast near home. It turned out such a lovely afternoon I think I could of just kept on going for a good few hours more. If we weren't still on lockdown I may well have gone a lot further but as it was I had a great ride.
I probably could have done with wearing my shorts in the end. Such a sunny warm afternoon we had a BBQ for dinner, well a sausage sizzle and then were outside in the setting sun at midnight for the solstice. Then woke up this morning to damp drizzle and misty rain. Difference a few hours makes.
Hope everyone is staying safe and had a lovely solstice.

Jamie

IMG_3122 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3125 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3132 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3136 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3138 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3139 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3142 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Here is a bonus Solstice pic taken at midnight from the field next to the house looking north to the island of Hoy
solstice by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

N+1 in our house today, but unfortunately not for me.
Sharron's friend has been having a clearcut and gave us a balance bike. Still a bit big for him as he can't touch both feet down, but it probably won't be long.
Only time in my life I don't mind having an Apollo in the shed :LOL:

Untitled by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

Re:

Wow! Getting big :)
That’s the start of it mate, all good times ahead :)
Still can’t believe he’s gotten so big.

Jamie

Did some tinkering on Sunday getting the Jack Taylor Sport out and measuring a few things for size etc to hopefully get built for the Jack Taylor weekend at the end of August. All being well and safe at the time I shall be there.
Plan now is to keep it as a five speed and build with a mixture of era correct and slightly more modern gear.
The photos don't do it justice as that canary yellow is as vibrant as it was new and this frame is 57 years old, only ever partially built before being stored in black bags in a loft. Bottom bracket and headset fitted but judging by paint no brakes or seatbolt ever fitted.
I have a few bits for it and Brian has me some lovely Weinmann 27'' rims which I may lace to the first gen Dura Ace high flange rims. Peachy has me some canary yellow shorty Bluemel guards that I will try.

IMG_3228 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3234 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3239 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3248 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3227 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Back