Show us what you did today, thread

There's no need really as the friction is only enough to allow it to move under it's own weight so when you try to lift it up it is still quite tight. Infinitely adjustable though as the mounts are two 1 inch handlebar stems, though front and back are different angles and the sidecar mounts through the section where a handlebar would normally go so it's just a case of tightening or loosening it really. Like most sidecars motorised or not it is always easier to manage with a bit of weight on it. Handles the same just a bit more slow motion, especially the speed I ride :) but just good fun really and gives me an easy way to take the dog.

Jamie

Isn't a need for dampers really as it rides very smoothly for essentially what is just a great square weight.
It's a very simple piece of equipment and works great as long as it is squared up and adjusted right. I can mount it in about 2 minutes tops.
Jamie

Merry Christmas to all out there in Macretro land and those beyond as well!
I really hope everyone has had a nice day and spent it in the company of family and those you hold dear.

For myself, well with Caleb on the go since the early hours it has been anything but boring. Presents coming from everywhere for him so it took a while to get through the unwrapping process itself :)
I did prize myself away for an hour later this afternoon to get a few miles in on the Jack Taylor. Just nice to get a bit of quiet out on the road. Dry but damp and cool with no wind. Certainly rode nicely and after the BD with sidecar, the JT certainly felt light and nimble :)
Nice to get a Christmas ride in even if it was fairly short.

Jamie

DSCN5599 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5601 (2) by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5608 (2) by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Cheers Mr P
I could use it to bring you on a retro ride while your legs healing :) Though we wont get anywhere even slowly.

I managed to get out on the LHT this afternoon, first time for what feels like ages. I fitted my lights as I needed to see that they still worked as they will be my backups for the Puffer and also to sort the lights as I have entered the Musselburgh Tour of East Lothian Audax in Feb so no doubt there may be a bit of winter bleakness/darkness there as well.
I went out along the coast and down a few dead end tracks to the shore off of the main road out towards Mey as I was looking for an old croft that someone had mentioned, didn't find it but still had an enjoyable ride. Was very cold as the temps really dropped the last few days but again, still nice to be out riding, better than no ride.
I will also give a big shout out to Carradice as well. My rear trunk bag that I have used for a long time on the LHT and all my other bikes with a rack had started moving about on the rack and loosening off the Velcro tabs that hold it on. It's seen many years of abuse in all weathers and while it is worn with the tags off the zip pullers etc I think it still has a bit of life left and besides I like it as it fits everything perfectly. I contacted Carradice to see if they could repair it they said they could but it that the issue would be that the original Velcro is sewn on and it would destroy it to take it off but it needs the stiff side of the Velcro to be sewn onto the tab that's already there as that is the section that will just be worn. The lady said that to be honest anyone that can sew could sew them on for me and so it probably wasn't worth sending it down and then postage back plus they would have to charge me . Just before I went back to Oz last month an envelope arrived with the pieces inside, free of charge. I thought that was really good of them especially as they could have tried to sell me another one. Really pleased, so now my old carrier will see a bit more action. No more bungee strap to secure it as some may have seen in recent photos. I do have a Carradice longflap as well so I am not just being tight :)
Hope everyone else has had a great New Year and I will hopefully get down to a few more retrorides this year and catch up with everyone.

Jamie

DSCN5616 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5625 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5628 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5633 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Good luck in the Tour of East Lothian Jamie, it was an event I've considered in the past but couldn't do it this year as that much strenuous exercise for me on a Sunday before a working week is unthinkable !

Oh and East Lothian despite being not in the highlands has some right barsteward steep hills which you really do not expect !!!!

It's only a 106klm which isn't too much further than the Rough Stuff audax one we do in East Lothian and we flew round that last year ;)
Between these two and Forth Fat I seem to like riding in that part of the world. Might be the company as well :)

Jamie

I was out this afternoon for a jaunt round the coast before meeting Heather and Caleb at a friends next to Dunnett Beach.
Weather turned nice after lunch and while I have been riding the Jack Taylor in this setup for a while I really must get round to stripping it down and changing components to more suitable pieces. With this in mind I was riding trying to figure out what to change, to make it far more usable than the Dura Ace 8 that is currently on it. I have some stuff stored away waiting but really just deciding on gearing and chainset.
Anyway it was a nice meander without really having any destination in mind when I set out.
Hope everyone else had a good one.

Jamie

DSCN5637 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5641 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5644 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5645 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Great photos as usual bud, I spent most of the day as a taxi for teanagers....

Back