Show us what you did today, thread

Re:

Novel alternative use for quill stems. :cool:
Friends of ours fitted a sidecar to their tandem when their 2 girls were wee, 20 years or so ago. It was 2nd hand and looked the same as the old fashioned almost boat shaped ones that people had on their motor-bikes in the 30s-40s-50s.
Hope you guys have fun with yours.

Intrigued as to how it tilts, are there bearings where it is mounted to the quill stems and does it have any spring mechanism/damping to stop it bouncing up and down when it's not loaded?

It tilts purely by tensioning the quill stems where you would normally have a handlebar. They are quill stems but are very beefy built. The Frame itself is chromed or highly polished steel and has a bit of weight to it, especially once assembled with stems, wheel etc. This is what would stop it bouncing on its own. The quill bolts are what's used for tensioning are also greased where they mount to allow them to move. The design of the frame and the tubing it mounts into on the bike means that it cannot move for and aft and the tensioning is only backed off to allow it to move up and down and then backed off again so it can fold up when not in use. It's never meant to be so loose there is no tension as any rattling about will snap the bolts or stem.
It is rated to 250lbs or 113 kg so pretty substantial. That's a big dog or a lotta cheese ;)

Jamie

Might have to get out the old fibreglassing gear as I'm picturing a Soviet style military sidecar just much smaller :) , in keeping with it's utilitarian demeanour.
The possibilities are endless :)

Jamie

Re:

Like this?

club08041501.jpg

Or this maybe? :mrgreen:

816365a2bed9b1f8c3808070576e64f2.jpg

I'm sure the one my brother has is a Cossack or maybe a Dnepr, think both are copies of the military BMW bikes from WW2.
He took me through to Edinburgh once during the winter in the sidecar, the sidecar on right hand side. If I hadn't been so feckin' cold I'd have been scared shitless being out there on right so close to oncoming traffic.

I was thinking more like the Ural one up top. :)
Been in plenty of sidecars both passenger and (tryingtobe) occasional rider back home in Oz.
Yeah, right hand side is a bit scary, I was only thinking this a while back when I watched a really nice looking MKM Krauser come towards me on the Cromarty bridge, that wedge shape looked perfect for going under an oncoming car!
This is just the acoustic version.

Jamie

Latest posts

Back