Show us what you did today, thread

Well out today on the Jack Taylor for a few miles this afternoon.
I am still treating it as shakedown rides as I am still trying to make a decision on what to do on various fronts, ie; the paint and also the build direction.
This was made a slight bit harder due to another frame entering the shed :)
First things first, due to it being really just mocked together originally to go round the block and see if it fitted, I wasn't really surprised to noticed the bottom bracket was loose and whilst undoing the crank bolts noticed that they too were not much more than finger tight. Once the BB was tightened and cranks nipped up I took the time to check and tighten everything else. Fitted my Carradice longflap saddle bag as I need to get my rack bag re-velcroed as it came off recently, just wear and tear as it gets used a lot, but the bag is still in great condition so will get it done. The longflap is a great bag but a bit too big for what I need.
Went out for a couple of hours with at least half of that pushing into the mother of all headwinds but I suppose I got the benefit of a good tailwind in other sections. Just a cruise round the coast looking at setup etc and while it has just been cobbled together with bits off the Mercian, cockpit and saddle/seatpost along with my Dura Ace 1st gen and 7400 running gear, levers etc with Mafac Racer brakes. While this is a good setup on it's own, it is not the setup I want for its final build which is a more touring orientated one. Stronglight triple, Nitto bars and stem etc. Saying that it does ride superbly, different from my others and just rides along in a fast but relaxed manner, I am really enjoying it.
Round the farms with a bit of gravel thrown in and then a quiet ride round the coast to then try and beat the rain home by heading inland. Got a few drops in the last kilometre so timed it just right. Not that far but enjoyable all the same.

Jamie

DSCN4931 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN4938 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN4940 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN4944 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

epicyclo":dy1u8hnk said:
If you'd like to suggest a Saturday so you have enough time to check the bike over, let's see what can be organised.
Edit: I'm assuming you live in the Portmahomack area. There's lots of interesting Pictish stuff around. If you like, why don't you pick a route that will take us to those and other historical spots. It doesn't have to be a huge ride, the only necessity is a decent stop (or two) for tea and cake (ANTA?)

Good idea, I'm no expert on the Picts but there are carved Pictish stones or fragments thereof in a handy route along the peninsula from Nigg via Shandwick, Balintore and Cadboll (Hilton) to Tarbat (Portmahomack). Modern (WW1 on) history provides a seaplane base, two aerodromes and a weapons range along with various associated bits though there's probably enough of that stuff for a different ride!

Coming from your end the Nigg ferry might provide a handy link / starting point? Can look to be a bit busy at this time of the year mind you...

There are quite a few tea and cake providers en route and if all else failed I can provide that!

I'd suggest this Saturday as it otherwise suits me well but have annoyingly injured my lower back - I tried going out on the road bike this afternoon anyway but it only aggravated it :( Would the 11th suit you and anyone else interested?

I could have done this Saturday but am doubtful for the 11th as away with the family around then.

Jamie

Re:

I could have done this Saturday but am doubtful for the 11th as away with the family around then.

Ah well, I have similar issues with next Saturday, family arriving from overseas... maybe later in August we can arrange something that will suit?

I took a test ride this afternoon to check the state of both the old roadster and the old back... both more or less passed the test I think, neither quite 100% but good enough for 17.5 miles today.

Hopefully we can increase that a bit next week - my planned Pictish route would be about 30 miles which is more than I've ever done on the roadster but I'm sure it's up to the job if my back recovers.

IMG03164-resized.jpg

Looks good mate.
I am away for a couple of weeks but would be happy to join in if I'm about when you ride it.

Jamie

Decided I'd had enough of working at my desk by lunch time and thought I'd make the most of the sunshine by heading out for a few more miles on the roadster this afternoon. The rain started to fall just after I left but wasn't too unpleasant, I was enjoying the unusual experience of having mudguards to keep the tyre splashes off me... for ten more minutes, before it turned into a torrential cloudburst downpour which was like cycling through a massive power shower, turned the entire road into a sea of water and soaked me to the skin.

Thankfully it only lasted another five minutes or so before the sun came back out and started to dry things up... by the time I got home both the bike and me were quite dry aside from my feet.

Anyway, I managed a record (for this bike) of just over 29 miles without my back giving any significant signs of unhappiness and had an enjoyable run on the rusty but reliable antique. I really will have to get back to rebuilding the hub to fix third gear some day...

IMG03180-20180808.jpg

That's a good effort. It's pretty hard to beat the retro roadster vertical riding position for comfort. It's a good way to reel off the miles.

Talking about being retro, all you need now is a cycling cape. They are far better than expensive goretex etc but they only work on a bike with proper mudguards. You can get cheap ones (Raleigh) or pay the hipster tax and get a posh but better one from Brooks. (Mine is a cheap one. :) ) Rain will never bother you again. The beauty of them is they go on in seconds so you can put off the decision to don it until the last minute instead of cooking inside a waterproof that you have put on too early.

Re:

Hmm, I have never considered a cape before but on this kind of bike I can see how it might work - I might well try one. My main concern would be that it might act like a massive airbrake on a windy day?

I don't think I'll be trying a Brooks one anyway - I'd expect a built in fan heater powered by a perpetual motion generator for that kind of money!

Re: Re:

ajm":2nsl2snw said:
Hmm, I have never considered a cape before but on this kind of bike I can see how it might work - I might well try one. My main concern would be that it might act like a massive airbrake on a windy day?...
It's not aero, that's for sure.

But it's rare you get high winds combined with rain, and when it does the best thing is to seek shelter. If you have a cape, you're wearing shelter. :)

I've been out on some belters with the cape, and I'd sooner have it than any other system - more breathable, and ridiculously cheap for the job it does.

Latest posts

Back