Show us what you did today, thread

Re:

I went from being a builder,electriciant to a 6 stretch as a primary teacher.best job in the world that was....kids are fabulous to work with ...

Out for a ride today with my little man.
After yesterdays drive back from Loch Lomond in some pretty heavy lying snow it was then a shame to have sunny and icy conditions today. We could see snow to the south and Hoy only had a dusting this morning compared to yesterdays whiteout looking conditions when we got home.
Anyway it was a nice afternoon so we wrapped up and Caleb was on his little 16'er I dusted of the Mercian for a leisurely roll round the countryside with Caleb picking the random route through farm lanes etc.
After a while we noticed that there was a fog closing in from the east, first the wind turbines disappeared and then it just got greyer and greyer with the temperature dropping considerably, as if it wasn't already very cold. There was still a fair bit of ice left on the roads and gravel tracks but we both stayed upright.
Not far or exciting but it was good to turn the legs after a couple of days away.
Hope everyone else has some decent riding weather and manages to get out this weekend and also hope all macretros have a very Happy New Year, hopefully we will catch up soon.

Jamie

333 (2) by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

333 (1) by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN4549 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re:

Good effort as usual Jamie, can always count on you pair to get out riding and show the rest of us up ;) . I was full of good intentions to get out over the holidays but haven't as yet, still a couple of days to go though.

Been getting my front light sorted out (broken bracket needing a bit of bodging) so I can take my bike away with me to where I work and get out a few times a week at nights. There's a few easy footpaths/trails near my digs to ease me back in to it. Got my Rock Lobster set up as 1 x 9 now but might change it back to single speed once I'm a bit fitter so planning to take that as it's needing ridden and is the best set-up for winter riding.

Hopefully catch up with everyone some time in the new year.

Re:

I'm stretching it a bit here but thought I'd better post up some pics from my trip to New Zealand in November this year, better late than never I suppose. If nothing else it should hopefully make Jamie happy to see some sun instead of fog this time of year :LOL:
No where near a bike when I was there but had a fantastic time with my sister and a fitting way to celebrate her birthday (my folks were meant to come with us but my dad wasn't well enough to travel in the end which was a real shame).
We flew in to Auckland and spent the first few days in the Northland (peninsula above Auckland) before traveling down the West coast stopping off at various places to see some glow worms and Kiwis etc. and generally doing the touristy things. We didn't spend too much time in any one place that first week as we wanted to get down to the South island as quick as possible then take our time traveling back up. When we got to the South island we headed down the West coast again to Greymouth and then over Arthur's pass to Christchurch where I caught up with a mate from my Uni days who's working as a structural engineer there. We then took our time traveling back up the East coast of the South and North islands eventually stopping in Rotorua for 4 days (jees that place stinks :LOL: ). Rotorua is a fantastic place with loads to see and do but my highlights were the Sequoia forest and the tree top zip line tour we did.
Would really like to go back for another trip and see more of the South island, just not enough time to see everything this time unfortunately.

Attachments

• DSC00234.jpg
    DSC00234.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 499
  • DSC00475.jpg
    DSC00475.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 499
  • DSC00202.jpg
    DSC00202.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 498
  • DSC00027.jpg
    DSC00027.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 499
WOW! Looks great mate :)
Sounds like a great trip and while it can always be longer, it sounds like you packed tons in.
Photos look spectacular.
I have been to NZ a few times when I was younger as my Uncle, my Dads brother lived just outside of Auckland. An engineer as would have it, he built ships on a big scale and so I stayed and toured round with him and his wife. That was when I was quite young, then on a motorbike when I was a bit older, lovely country and people.
Looks like your home in that bottom picture ;)

Jamie

Re:

I figured you must've been over the "ditch" at some point Jamie and would know the place. The pictures don't really do the place justice, that bottom one is at the East side of Arthur's pass (one of the highlights of the trip as the scenery was stunning). My sister has been twice before, once when she was younger and 10 years ago (for her birthday again).
If I was a bit younger and didn't have family and friends to think of I'd be out there to live and work in a shot tbh. As you say; lovely place and lovely people.

I know what you mean. I was quite young when I went to my uncles a few times. I remember Rotorua each time, that smell stays with you for a long while.

Jamie

raced at the local place today. timetrial format, very muddy, slippery and fun :cool: came 5th :mrgreen:

Attachments

• offroad tt.jpg
    offroad tt.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 472
Well done! I bet it was cold and after the weather we have had the last few weeks, slippery must be a bit understated :)
Good going :)

Jamie

Back