Show us what you did today, thread

Re: Re:

RobMac":3hownwc3 said:
Its the length of the forks (or head angle) that makes a bike slack not the stem.

Aye ok Dad but a shorter stem helps sharpen the steering.....get into 2017 ffs lol.

Re: Re:

keithyr":b4bfop4z said:
RobMac":b4bfop4z said:
Its the length of the forks (or head angle) that makes a bike slack not the stem.

Aye ok Dad but a shorter stem helps sharpen the steering.....get into 2017 ffs lol.

Rob is used to a slack rear end.

All this modern stuff is new to him.

Managed to upload a couple of pics for something else and managed to stick a couple from yesterdays ride on.
It was a good ride round the coast but the wind, which ramping up all afternoon, was great on the ride out but when heading back along the high road it was about a 25 mph headwind, full on in the face. The pace slowed until just near Canisbay I pulled into a layby on the singletrack road to let a smallish tractor past that had slowly been catching me up. It kept my mind off the wind as I raced from passing place to passing place to stay ahead. Anyway once past me I thought he's not going too quick, so I quickly pushed to catch up and then proceeded to draft along right up behind it for the next few, maybe four kilometres to almost home, sitting on a steady 34kph. A step up from the sub 20kph I could just manage in the wind. The old guy driving pointed to ask if I wanted round, I just pointed to the back of the tractor and gave the thumbs up, and with taking his thumbs up reply as his consent, I moved up to about a foot off the back and proceeded to roll along. I only lost the draft about a third of the way up the hill near home.
All good fun.

Jamie

2 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

4 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

5 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

There is no hiding from the wind on these roads :)
6 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

It was coming back along this section of road that I was behind the tractor. You can see the grass is already blowing over in this pic.
1 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

3 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

I like the Brooks. This one is just over a year old now and not that many miles really but it's comfortable already.
I have had the black one on my Trucker for a long time and it is great as well. I was dubious about all the hype and I was for a long time until I did a few long days in the saddle and my backside was fine. Like one of the days when I was away for the tour in August, it rained, was sunny, then it poured and I was soaked through to the core, then it dried out and I climbed the Struei near Bonar Bridge, I think I did about 130klm or so fully loaded from Tongue down to Brians at Dingwall, but not during or after did I even think about my backside feeling sore or tender, nothing at all. If I don't notice it then it must be doing it's job.

Jamie

Re:

Nothing like sitting close in behind a tractor for a few miles to make you feel a lot fitter than you actually are! Sadly virtually all the farms around here have flashy modern tractors now and they're much faster than they used to be :( Even if I manage to catch them / keep up with them, it's a bit too fast for comfort in case there's a sudden stop... (that was rarely a problem in the old days as their brakes were usually even worse!)

Now Jamie has mudguards on his Mercian, I can think of a few good "road" rides so he can get his money's worth out of them... :)

Re:

Brian classes a 'proper' bike as something like an old sit up and beg roadster bike with hub gears. I class a 'proper' bike as something like that beautiful Mercian Jamie pilots around :cool:

Today I seen something that made me smile, a 'proper' bike. A Philips lugged steel roadbike, which is just a low end hi-tensile steel Raleigh with a Philips badge but this one had been seriously breathed on. Full Shimano 105 groupo with Miche hubs, Cinnelli stem and other bits of Italian loveliness. Polished to perfection with a glorious deep red metallic paint scheme. Sows ear to silk purse and worth every bit I'm sure. Wish I'd had a camera :D

Current health letting me down and not been out on my bikes at all but as long as all that cycling eye candy exists I can still smile in appreciation :cool:

Back