Show us what you did today, thread

Seen the weather forecast yesterday for up here and decided to text my manager and ask for today off, pretty jammy considering I had Friday off :)
But it was no problem as we are relatively quiet the last few weeks.
After fettling with a couple of the machines this morning, I thought rather than take the LHT out for a DIY Audax I would instead take the old faithful Pugsley out for a bit of beach work. Especially since I was due to meet Caleb, Heather and some friends later after lunch at the beach at Dunnet. It was the kids last day of holidays so they were all meeting at the beach for a play round.
I just rode around the shore playing on the rocks and sand, putting in a few miles along the beach first the riding westward picking lines along the slab rock and rock pools. Left home around midday and got home around 4.30/5.00. Good to be back out on the Pugs and just ride for the sake of riding. It was about 20 odd degrees and the sun was quite warm, so a good call to ditch work.
The kids loved their time on the beach as well, they were there from 11am through till 5 so a good way to finish the holidays. They had about 11 kids, which while not sounding like much was just over half of the kids in his school :)
Hope others may have had the chance to enjoy some late summer sun as well.

Jamie

DSCN2808 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN2810 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN2805 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Home and washed in copious fresh water ;) lubed and put away ready for next time :)
DSC_1467 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Not too bad really, its still cracking and flaking around the dropouts etc, but the main section seems alright. I was babying it a fair bit before but now I just use it as its getting redone in the winter. Its a shame as I like it, so will most likely just get him to do the same again.
It looks silver in the pics but in the sunlight the magenta comes through.

Jamie

firedfromthecircus":n6ayzw21 said:
Drunken bike building! :shock:

What could possibly go wrong? :LOL:

It's drunken bike riding where it all goes wrong, I've got the scars to prove it! :LOL:

Realised I need a longer bottom bracket, which gives me a chance to check the bike over before I actually ride it ;)

Well it looks like the good weather is still with us :)
Long may it last!
While Caleb has been back at school the last two days, he has still been making the most of the weather by spending his afternoons at the beach, along with Heather and about half his school mates and their parents. Unfortunately I can't blag anymore days of this week or next so the only opportunity is after work.
I've been desperate to get out and try the surf kayak that Brian has given me to use as he couldn't get a comfortable fit with it. So for the summer its holidaying at mine :)
Caleb had already spent the afternoon out with my body board and playing in a friends inflatable so I raced home and tried to quickly load the kayak into the back of the Meriva. I may have got away with it sticking out the back and the tailgate tied down with a bungee, but only because the beach is only about a mile or two away.
Thankfully Heather arrived back just before I left and we put it on the roof racks on her car. Much safer.
Caleb got changed before we headed back out as he said he wasn't going swimming as it was a bit cooler, so much for that as he was in the water, fleece and all :)
The wind was just picking up and so the waves were on the increase with a decent enough lee between at first to let me try and get used to how it turned and steered.
It was, brilliant, what a great laugh. I knew it was a quality ride but it was really noticeable how well it handled, don't get me wrong, I had a couple of good wipeouts after turning across the front of a wave/wash, but being a sit on, you never get the feeling of being in danger, even when well out off the shore.
Its a bit like a lazy surf, except you just work in a different way, still hard, but its a really fast ride so you can feel the wave accelerate you once you get picked up.
Great fun and while we didn't get home until nearly 9, we all had a nice evening, and for me it just made all the work day fade away.
Thanks Brian, I will try my best to give it a regular workout :)
Not bikes but hey, it was a nice night in the all too fleeting Scottish summer.
Here's some pics Heather took early on.

DSC_1470 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSC_1478 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSC_1481 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSC_1496 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr
Jamie

Yeah, it was just one of those nice family evenings.
We have kayak and canoe and body board and have borrowed a surfboard but usually they never meet, this was like mixing them both together :)
Plus it is like going for a ride on the bike, its hard to have a bad time.

Jamie

That looked great fun Jamie although i've never been on any of those to be honest but have always wanted ago in a kayak so maybe one day i'll get the chancebut will need contact lenses 1st ..

Back