Show me your URT's

Thias":2391r1c7 said:
Good read, but I have to disagree. :LOL:
As I said. As he says. Not a downhill bike. Even more so, if you just sit on the bike without tuning the rebound to your weight and drive characteristics. The Mantra is very unforgiving in this respect, I agree to that.
He said that he was levered out of the seat by braking hard. Ha! Thats the usual situation you get confronted with when trying a full susser for the first time. Many bikes do that. Especially with rebound set too fast. May well be, that the original elastomere dampener of the mantra caused that problem.

I still like the matra for beeing lite and helping me to go uphill faster than on my hardtail. I would go faster downhill, too. Just not at the very tricky trails.

What he is right about thou is the head angle. It is too steep. Using a mutch more modern 100mm fork does help here. Thats why I am using those psylos in the first place. The very short stem also helps shifting you weight further back. With this configuration the mantra is a very fun bike. :D

I am not sure where, but I read somewhere that Gary had originally designed the mantra around a rigid fork and the bike was not designed to run a suspension fork. Of course this probably didn't work for trek so they shoved a sus fork on there to increase sales. This might explain why the bike was bad going down.

There are a lot of things about the URT suspension design that cause it to perform so poorly, but one of the biggest is the fact that when you brake the head angle and seat angle greatly increased and at the same time the wheel base shortens. This happens because as you brake you naturally (and physically have to) shift your weight to the handle bars and the pedals. On a URT this causes the rear shock to extend (the opposite of what you want when braking) which inturn increases the HA/SA and shortenes the wheelbase. The rear shock extending, plus a high seat is what causes people to get bucked over the bars. I think this effect was increased with the design of the mantra and using a suspension fork on it.

Would be interesting to see how it rides with a rigid fork.

I read that, too, about the rigid front. Gary said it in an interview. And it can be seen in early pictures. A guy in the german forum even built his mantra with a rigid strata fork and he seemed to like it.

one of the biggest is the fact that when you brake the head angle and seat angle greatly increased
This is the case with all rear suspension systems, not an URT-problem. I had s Schwinn "4banger" that had the same effect. And that has a 4-link-system. But you would only notice it with a defective dampener. New dampener solved that problem completely. As it did with my Mantra and the Szasbo. Modern shocks (or their buffed out dampening hydraulics) are just so much better in controlling unwanted extension than the old Fox alps. And then of course you can change leverages and angles in the construction, so the brakes kind of lock the suspension a bit instead of levering the rear end up. But that is a very fine line.
The RTS for example has that locking problem. Its rear suspension gets torn downward if you use the brakes. The opposite effect, kind of. But thats a different story..

The only URT-inherent problems that I can think of, is the changing distance between the pedals and the seat. And the stiffening of the suspension while standing. But you will get used to the first one quickly. The second - well - don't go downhill too fast. :roll:

Thias":2k9l89pt said:
I had s Schwinn "4banger" that had the same effect. And that has a 4-link-system.

I had a 4 banger for a bit; it may have been a result of oversized discs and powerful hydraulic brakes, but that had the worst brake induced dive/feedback/lockout of any bike I've ever ridden.

Thias":dvq3v25m said:
I read that, too, about the rigid front. Gary said it in an interview. And it can be seen in early pictures. A guy in the german forum even built his mantra with a rigid strata fork and he seemed to like it.

one of the biggest is the fact that when you brake the head angle and seat angle greatly increased

This is the case with all rear suspension systems, not an URT-problem. I had s Schwinn "4banger" that had the same effect...

The only URT-inherent problems that I can think of, is the changing distance between the pedals and the seat. And the stiffening of the suspension while standing. But you will get used to the first one quickly. The second - well - don't go downhill too fast. :roll:

Fully active suspension bikes have brake squat that helps to preserve the correct head angle when braking and get the center of gravity low. As you brake, weight gets shifted to the handle bars and pedals. With a fully active suspension both rear and front shocks compress as you brake. Some bikes have anti-squat built in to the brake design to help keep the rear suspension from packing up when braking, but even those bikes will have some squat. (For some reason people sometimes call this brake jack). URTs have no brake squat, only brake jack.

The biggest issue I had with the URT was that it is not really full suspension. Since the BB is directly connected to the rear axle, that means only 2 of the 3 contact points are fully suspended from axle movement. And to make things worse, the only contact point that is able to get your center of gravity low is the one that is not full suspended making it much harder to get your weight low in situations when you want it as low as possible like braking, cornering or riding thru rough terrain. The further away the pivot is from the BB the worse it is as noted by terraplane bikes: "The reason early URT designs were so bad was that they would place the pivot way up high. This meant that the bottom bracket would move an enormous amount as the suspension compressed, and this sucked for two reasons. One, you had a seat height that would change as the suspension compressed. Two, the suspension would only work when you were sitting down. This was advertised as a benefit, but in reality it was horrible. When was the last time you flew into a rock garden sitting down"
http://terraplanebikes.com/index/#/pocket-rocket/

Suspension bob was another big issue with URT designs. While the design did eliminate pedal feedback, in doing so you can't use the chain to create anti-squat to prevent the shock from compressing (bobbing) when you pedal. You can use dampening, but that makes the suspension less active. Fully active suspension bikes can use dampening or anti-squat or a combo of both for a much more active suspension. Also, pedaling is less efficient because your weight is shifting from the sprung part of the bike to the unsprung part when you pedal. Wikipedia does a better job of explaining than I could: "as the URT's suspension moves, the distance between seat and pedals changes, detracting from pedaling efficiency. Furthermore, when the rider shifts any weight from the seat to the pedals, he or she is shifting weight from the sprung part of the bike to the unsprung parts. As such, part of their weight would not be suspended by the suspension system anymore. Since pedaling itself is a shift of this weight, the design is very prone to suspension bob."

The article from pinkbike is not the only one like that regarding URTs and the Klein mantra in particular. Here is another, but there are others: https://dirtmountainbike.com/bike-revie ... er.html/14

So basically the URT eliminated pedal feedback from pedaling, but in doing so it;
-introduced trail feedback to the pedals because the BB is not fully
suspended from rear axle since it is directly connected to it
-increases pedal bob since there is no way to use anti squat to reduce
bob
-makes it so the distance from the bb to the seat is constantly changing
-does not fully suspend your feet from rear axle movement
-causes a "bucking" effect because the rear shock extends as you brake,
the head angle increases and the wheel base shortens
-forces you to keep your center of gravity as high as possible in order for
the suspension to work which is exactly the opposite of what you would
want to do in a situation when you need suspension most.

These are some of the reasons why almost no mtb manufacturer, other than department store brands, use this design anymore.

Just continue argumenting that the bike, that was never meant to be a downhill bike sucks at downhill. Pointless. :facepalm:

Thias":2tsuk6dw said:
Just continue argumenting that the bike, that was never meant to be a downhill bike sucks at downhill. Pointless. :facepalm:

And on the flats. Cornering, braking, pedaling, riding through rough terrain and the need to keep your center of gravity as low as possible are all things that will be encountered on flat terrain as well. These are basic functions that all Mtbs need to excel at and are not exclusive to DH. As pointed out, the URT is terrible at all 5 of those.

You have your opinion, I have mine. I had the same opinion as you now have, but 2 years ago.
Then I bought my RTS, the mantra, later my Ibis. And a few other full sussers of that era. I had that mad idea of living though the developement of rear suspension bikes. Begining in the early 90ties and ending today. I read a lot of articles about those bikes. The articles from back then and more recent ones. I did a lot of riding and testing. And tuning. And riding again. It was (and still is) very interesting ride.

And I had to change my opinions (about those bikes), that I had made up from reading the articles and the internet. Some were better, some were worse than expected. The Mantra was a surprise to me. In a positive way. As was the Ibis.

Nuff said. I don't want to be the missionary for URT (or anything else).

Thias":3v3c24vx said:
You have your opinion, I have mine. I had the same opinion as you now have, but 2 years ago.
Then I bought my RTS, the mantra, later my Ibis. And a few other full sussers of that era. I had that mad idea of living though the development of rear suspension bikes. Beginning in the early 90ties and ending today. I read a lot of articles about those bikes. The articles from back then and more recent ones. I did a lot of riding and testing. And tuning. And riding again. It was (and still is) very interesting ride.

And I had to change my opinions (about those bikes), that I had made up from reading the articles and the internet. Some were better, some were worse than expected. The Mantra was a surprise to me. In a positive way. As was the Ibis.

^^ :LOL: your experience very much mirrors mine, I too went back for more after having ridden the Orange X1 in both competition and for fun, and I know of a few more folk who have done the same.

at the end of the day they were a product of the time, usurped by design(s) that performed better (progress) and also the advent of shock absorbers that have better rebound and dampening allowing you to go bigger and faster = XC to full on downhill

evolution just like U-brakes > V brakes > Disc.

To play devils advocate...

The argument that your pedals are not suspended on a urt isn't really true. As an example, URT designs with the pivot on the BB shell have very nearly the same amount of 'Suspension' effect you'd get from a pivot very close to the BB on a non-URT frame ala Amp, or GT's LTS.

It's all about levers.

Thias":1qqt07w8 said:
Then I bought my RTS, the mantra, later my Ibis. And a few other full sussers of that era. I had that mad idea of living though the developement of rear suspension bikes. Begining in the early 90ties and ending today. I read a lot of articles about those bikes. The articles from back then and more recent ones. I did a lot of riding and testing. And tuning. And riding again. It was (and still is) very interesting ride.

You are right, I have never ridden a mantra, just read about them. The only URT I have spent time on is a trek y bike, which was really, really bad. I get the appeal of the mantra. It is one sweet looking bike especially with the Girvin fork. Also, it is unique and I am guessing has distinct ride characteristics, some good, some not. That is the same reason I like linkage forks, it is very unique. They has some big flaws, but also some great characteristics that make it fun.

Whenever I see a mantra for sale it's always going for quite a few hundred dollars. If I ever find one going for a good deal, I would pick it up just for wall art and a few rides a year. I have s few Girvin forks so I would build it up with that. Probably make quite an interesting ride combining the unique characteristics of the mantra frame and Girvin fork, but it looks so sweet :D

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 731
Back