Show me your URT's

brocklanders023":wbxskl68 said:
firedfromthecircus":wbxskl68 said:
it seems there is no suspension between the rear wheel and the cranks. Only between the rear wheel and the saddle. So you only get the benefit if you are sitting down, and you are still not getting it at the cranks even when sitting. :?
I suppose it's good for pedalling efficiency.

I was reading an old MBUK having seen many people say URT was awful and it turns out what you say above was exactly the point.

I was designed at a time when many were still on hard tails or rigid and were reluctant to move across to full suss. URT was lighter than many of the FS designs of the era and less active so more palatable to those happy with no suspension.

Like a gateway drug? :LOL:

I already wrote that a few times. The perception of URTs is wrong in general. They are not as bad, as many people think. Most of those people did never try a well designed and well tuned URT. Telling people what you think it might be or you heard someone saying really does not help in this dicussion. As does the fact that so many cheap and badly constructed bikes you can buy at hardware stores and supermarkets were URTs.

URTs depend very much on the way you want to use them. And they were made for efficient uphill and CC. Not for downhill races. Take the Klein Mantra for example. It had a rigid fork in the original concept! The urt really helps the pedaling efficiency. But you still get the benefit of a smooth rear end.
Going downward the suspension becomes somewhat harder if you stand up, but it is still working, of course. It helps on rough ground to prevent the dampener to top out.

Compared to the Specialized FSR I have and the GT RTS and LTS, my Ibis Szasbo and my Mantra are not bad at all. Just different. (The RTS is the worst to my taste actually...)

Re:

Love your Ibis, any other close up shots?

al.

You can of course klick the link in my sig for the build thread.

I am uploading a few new pics of the Ibis right now, as it had some changes. I'll post them later.

Until then, here is two pics of my mantra...

:D

Re:

I checked your link... the reason I'm asking is I want a new project and a URT fits the bill. I need some inspiration and a few pics of some rare stuff. I have one or two ideas of which frames, but always open to new ideas and links to the weird and wonderful.

al. :D

Re:

Two of mine,

1997 Schwinn Team FS with Sweet Spot URT the same technology as used by Control Tech, Klein, Ibis and Breezer...... despite being panned further up this thread it sure had a lot people under its spell.

and then the more traditional URT

and with a bit of added bling

Re:

and one for the doubting Thomas's that the URT concept is dead and buried to all but Wallmart and catalogue bikes

here's a 29'er from a not to shabby stable

Attachments

• Zorro%25205x5%2520ad.jpg
    Zorro%25205x5%2520ad.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 566
Spud- I love your bikes!
One day I'll have to sell my wife and kids and get myself a nice set of CK hubs. Those are so darn nice. And the sound! Ahw...

:LOL:

firedfromthecircus":1b1jmtgb said:
brocklanders023":1b1jmtgb said:
firedfromthecircus":1b1jmtgb said:
it seems there is no suspension between the rear wheel and the cranks. Only between the rear wheel and the saddle. So you only get the benefit if you are sitting down, and you are still not getting it at the cranks even when sitting. :?
I suppose it's good for pedalling efficiency.

I was reading an old MBUK having seen many people say URT was awful and it turns out what you say above was exactly the point.

I was designed at a time when many were still on hard tails or rigid and were reluctant to move across to full suss. URT was lighter than many of the FS designs of the era and less active so more palatable to those happy with no suspension.

Like a gateway drug? :LOL:

If you haven't seen the article "Now THAT Was a Bike: 1996 Klein Mantra Pro" on pinkbike.com you should check it out. Very entertaining read.
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/1996-klein ... -bike.html

Attachments

• Klein Mantra Pro 1996.jpg
    Klein Mantra Pro 1996.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 541
Back