show me your ON ONE

Thanks lewis1641

I,ve seen so many of these "two minute heroes" to last a life time, too far up their own rear end to appreciate that not everyone has a limitless supply of cash to spend on their bikes.
I love cycling but see so many who think its something they can get into because they have a bit of cash, trying to outdo one another with "who's got the best bit of kit" and actually spend little or no time riding apart from when posing up and down the high street thinking they look like a hard core mountain biker.
That's it i've had enough i'm off
:x

Dearest Ken,
There is far more inverted snobbery on RetroBike these days- many more bitching about only being able to afford cheap bikes (yet have several bikes in their sig). And you are right, it should be more about the ride than the depths of peoples pockets, but thats where On Ones fall flat- they are a poor ride. Have a look at the bikes that these so called snobs own and you will see plenty of mid range fare. I also see that the people who do not like On Ones do so because they bought one and did not like the way they rode, the lack of quality and the hype that surrounds them. As for two minute wonders who don't ride bikes, give me a shout when you have been riding bikes all over the place for the best part of 30 years.

Enjoy Singletrackworld. They love On Ones over there.

Si

Andy R":13mgod57 said:
We all just ride bikes, FFS - does there have to be any more to it than that :?: :?:

I was responding to Ken's comment that we don't ride our bikes apart from posing to the shops. I don't ever recall Ken being on any of the 50-60 retrobike rides that i have been to, do you?

Dr S":1ltaucbn said:
Andy R":1ltaucbn said:
We all just ride bikes, FFS - does there have to be any more to it than that :?: :?:

I was responding to Ken's comment that we don't ride our bikes apart from posing to the shops. I don't ever recall Ken being on any of the 50-60 retrobike rides that i have been to, do you?

Yes, I realise that, though to be fair, I haven't been to any of them either so I honestly don't know. I don't think Ken's comments were aimed at you any more than at me, for example, were they?
Anyone who's spent even a little time around here knows that your bikes are no garage queens (and nor are mine).
In the real world (as opposed to the virtual world of forums) we'd never waste time bickering over stuff like this (I'm as guilty as most) - we'd probably just go for a beer and a natter about bikes/women/music/whatever.......
:cool:

Kens general tone was that there are too many snobs here who are into some game of one upmanship rather than the chaps at STW who are more into riding. I know it wasn't aimed at me in particular. But I do take an exception to such bollocks when i have just returned from a weekend when I was joined by 46 other riders who all rode 'Retrobikes' with gusto. Many of those riders were far from 2 minute wonders too and have spent many years out on the trails, probably from a time when many STW guys were still filling their nappies 5 times a day.

I also don't like the assumption that to have a nice bike you need deep pockets. There are many tales of fillet brazed Ritcheys bought for $75. The bike that won 'Bike of the Ride' at Thetford cost just £18 on eBay. Last year I bought a scruffy Mountain Goat WTR frameset with parts on eBay for less than the cost of a new On One frame.... i could go on, but I will leave it at that.

Dr S":2e5uo0sx said:
Many of those riders were far from 2 minute wonders too and have spent many years out on the trails, probably from a time when many STW guys were still filling their nappies 5 times a day.

I like it ...... :LOL: :LOL:

Gentlemen, I thought we'd sorted all this out. This is a thread for people who LIKE On Ones, not hate them.

Like AndyR says, we wouldn't be this rude on a group ride or down the pub...and if we were we probably wouldn't be asked again...

Back