Show me your Chas Roberts / Dog Bolx / White Spider's etc

mickey@spooky":3gqiby4o said:
Where those bolx plumbed up with Columbus Max?
Mish-mash IIRC, and thats what made em special. max and 753 were the mailstay, plus various road tubes and downtubes used for toptubes and the like, to get some OS steel where the mainstay manufacturers were'nt really accomodating. . and when cutting a DT into a TT, but buts end up VERY short, making it light and twangy. And in need of a maestro to put it together. Still, they were crack-happy as it was such an envelope pushing design. But I don't really want to go down that route of conversation and spil the thread. If we dig deep on here, I'm sure theres a broken 'one of everything' if we look hard enough.

Bike Hoarder":2ddil2nc said:
Here's mine...

Bought it off here (sorry, can't remember who now). Needs a new down tube, and the BB is seized. I keep promising myself it will get done/finished, but the money filters through my fingers. ;)

Your in exactly the same boat as me,Roberts White Spider with bb stuck in frame & dented down tube, I dont suppose you have had a quote to get that rectified & replaced have you.

I have debated getting a quote from Chas Roberts to get it fixed along with costings for a fork to fit it if I decide to go with a rigid fork rather than sourcing a set of RC35's.

I you have any info let me know.

Spline

spline72":111kvbzl said:
wouldnt mind turning it into a single speed if the frame would handle it with the dent.

Get the dent filled, the b/b removed (a framebuilder would get that out easily), gear cable guides removed, trackends fitted and respray to original colours and that would make an amazing ss. The respray would be the most expensive bit but it would look super clean and so, so worth it.

Well, it's that or an Inbred frame....

Oh, and don't get the work done by Roberts as it will cost a small fortune (mate got some new steel ahead forks, cheap headset and stem for his road bike from Roberts and was charged £270 :shock: ) when it could be accomplished by any competent frame builder at much more modest an outlay.

Cups on the BB are chewed up from ham-fisted attempts to remove it, well and truly rusted in. Chas reckoned about £100 to replace the down tube, he advised to get the whole frame stripped to see if there was any other nasty bits before sorting the down tube.

Anyone who can get up to London with their Roberts is welcome to attend the following event:

https://lcc.org.uk/articles/city-cyclin ... -june-2018

It's on Wednesday 13 June from 4-7pm at the Guildhall Courtyard, Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HH. There'll be speakers, competitions, prizes and plenty of opportunity to scope out the many Roberts bikes and chat with their owners

Resurrecting this thread from the dead...

sngizIC.jpg

pqzk6p4.jpg

Hi all, Here's my Chas Roberts Genesis.

I had it re-sprayed by Bob Jackson Cycles late last year.

The frame is from 1998 but I've built it up with mainly Shimano m770 XT components - so at least a decade later. I admit I got impatient trying to source period parts.

Full spec as follows;

Pace RC31 Forks
Hope Headset
Shimano Deore XT V-Brakes with Shimano Deore Levers
Shimano SLX m660 3x9 Shifters
Shimano Deore XT m770 Crankset
Shimano Deore XT m772 Shadow Derailleur
Shimano Deore XT m770 Front Derailleur
Shimano Deore XT m770 9 speed Cassette 11-36
Shimano Deore XT m770 Hubs with Ryde Andra 30 Rims
Schwalbe Nobby Nic Tires
Selle Italia SLR Saddle