Should I worry - cracks around spokes?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Just spotted a couple of splits in my rim around a couple of spokes. Annoying as I've barely used the rim since having my old lbs rebuild the wheel around an old stock rim (years ago so no chance of going back).

I've got another rim, but should I rebuild or will it be ok for light use?

Attachments

• 2017-05-21 17.37.00.jpg
    2017-05-21 17.37.00.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 828
What model are they? I've heard a few times that there was a big batch of mavics around the late 90s early 2000s that did this all too easily.

Re:

Depending how much you use the wheels they could last year's. Or months.
I had some non-eyeletted rims that did that, eventually the spokes pulled through the rim, one by one.

217 sunsets were one of the few mavic rims i had that actually split like that. (An open 4 derivative was the other)

If it's a fairly standard build (32 3×) they'll just ping off one or two. Then the rims toast. But you might get home.
If it's silly lacing and/or high spoke tensions etc you can unzip the rim (what i did, 5 or 6 went in about 15 seconds) or one pings and you need a lift home.

mattr":1sc4o1ng said:
217 sunsets were one of the few mavic rims i had that actually split like that. (An open 4 derivative was the other)

If it's a fairly standard build (32 3×) they'll just ping off one or two. Then the rims toast. But you might get home.
If it's silly lacing and/or high spoke tensions etc you can unzip the rim (what i did, 5 or 6 went in about 15 seconds) or one pings and you need a lift home.

Bummer...never knew it was an issue with Sunsets, i have a few set of these :facepalm: Agree, its an urgent rebuild for a rider. Heard of enough accidents when this happens and peeps ride on, wheel jams and you know what happens next.

Re:

Is the spoke tension greater on the spokes with the cracked holes? I had an RM17 crack the same way on an old bike I bought 2nd hand. A few spokes were cranked right up tight, no doubt pulling a wobbly rim back into check.
I still kept riding it for a few hundred miles at least, I ride light but I'm far from slim so I'm not sure if that counts?

Re:

I wouldn't trust it to last.

The same thing happened to on of my Bontrager wheels, I binned the rim, and rebuilt with another.

Mike

most of the instances I've heard of are with CD rims, so maybe it's something in the anodising

Back