Mavic Cosmic Carbon issues

Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi folks, I love these wheels, they look fantastic on a bike. I took a chance on an eBay or marketplace find and a slight wobble turned out to be a replacement spoke with not enough thread. Once remedied, I rode these for a few months without issue. Then I took the wear to a wheel builder friend to true up as it had got a bit out. He told and showed me that the alloy (Open Pro) part of the rim that the carbon fairing is bonded onto, had a crack around the spoke hole. He's come across this several times and says that Mavic over tension the spokes on these wheels. Has anyone else come across this?
The bike feels fantastic ,I built it up a couple of years ago after seeing the frameset on eBay. It's light and comfortable and my favourite plastic road bike. Now shod with Mavic Helium wheels. Screenshot_20240225-095535-955.png Screenshot_20240225-100424-484.png

I don't know about over-tensioning, but Mavic had a significant issue in the late 1990s with cracking around spoke holes. It was also common on MTB wheels, 217 always being susceptible.

Back